Grilling Pizza

DebraJune 28, 2001

Anyone had any experience grilling pizza on a charcoal grill?

I have this recipe where you use frozen bread dough for pizza dough, flatten it out brush olive oil and put it on grill, oil side down. When grill marks start to appear on bottom (amazingly you don't turn it over), you pile on the ingredients you want, cover grill and when cheese melts its ready, usually 2-3 min.

The problem I have is that the bottom turns black, still tastes good, but wish I could keep it from burning. Any ideas??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gcasper_nycap_rr_com

Debra,

I do this all the time and I would ignore the suggestion to "not turn it over". Reasons that I can think of off hand, in addition to your Pittsburgh style pizza results:

Much easier to put the toppings on when you are not working over the freakin' hot coals,

The grill lines on the top of the finished pizza are very attractive and add to flavor,

The pizza will have a little rest from cooking while you're loading it......

But....., I like to just toss the loaded pizza on the grill and give it about 5 - 6 minutes with the cover on. Add a few smoke chips for a very flavorful "woodfired" pizza. Want to know what I use to put the pizza on the grill without upsetting things - ever? New product! Coming out this year, so you will have to ask me (out of respect for site rules).

Any questions? Now, let's eat!

gaspari

Bookmark   June 29, 2001 at 1:38PM
dadolly_cameron_net

Yes, I would like to know what you use to put the pizza back on the grill loaded. So do you grill both sides lightly then take it off, lower temperature, load the pizza and put it back on the grill? Sounds like a good idea.

Debra

Bookmark   July 1, 2001 at 10:55AM
gaspar107_aol_com

Grill one side, take off, flip over, top it, and put back on grill till done. Alternatively, just put the whole thing on the grill and bake from the start and bypass the whole on again/off again/flipping thing.

Bookmark   July 2, 2001 at 8:26PM
danuta

I just buy a Home Run Inn Pizza (in the ref section, not frozen) and put it on the grill in the aluminum pan it comes in. Turns out great.

Bookmark   June 6, 2002 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
Rebuild a Weber Silver-b grille?
I have a 8 year old Weber Silver-B grille. Is been...
shw104
Grilled Pork Tenderloin
Found this recipe and it is a keeper! Easy marinade...
LKZZ
Member's Mark Gas Grills Part 3 (Continued Discussion)
This discussion thread is about the Member's Mark stainless...
Ladd
Need suggestion for a gas cooktop to use outdoor
Can someone please suggest a gas cooktop/burner that...
Novie
Side burner recommendation
I am looking for a side burner to put in our outdoor...
bluehaven_gweb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™