Learned something new...

abgardeneerFebruary 16, 2004

While buying some clothes on the weekend, I tried on a wool turtle-neck sweater - I told the salesperson it was very nice but that the sleeves were too short for me. She said - "No problem, we can just block the sleeves for you" and took it in the back and did so! Voila! Now the sleeves were amply long, so I bought it (along with some other irresistible things). I guess when I get it dry-cleaned (or hand-wash it, less likely), I'll have to have the sleeves re-blocked, but I've never been offered this service before and didn't know it would solve a sleeve-length problem - how did this escape my attention, LOL?!?!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joann23456

Very good! But the thing I most noticed about your post is that you can wear wool sweaters. I so wish I could, but I always end up with a red rash. Everyone in my family does.

I should try that. I always block my good sweaters by shaping them on a mesh drying rack and pinning them into place (no-rust pins) until they dry.

Bookmark   February 16, 2004 at 2:20AM
seamstress

Might have just steamed & shaped it -- that's how some wool felt hats get shaped.

Bookmark   February 16, 2004 at 4:09PM
chinacat_sunflower

well- wool does stretch nicely when steamed, and as long as you pull both gently and EVENLY on the sleeves, not only will it not damage the sweater- but eventually, it will 'remember' that shape, and tend to stay that way...

Bookmark   February 17, 2004 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
Help settle bet--free shampoo. & style on the line
My stylist swears hair is alive and I contend hair...
bossyvossy
My pants are too short!
I have two pairs of pants that are 97% cotton and 3%...
Valerie Emmerich
Skimmer shoes....socks, knee-his, or bare feet?
I know it's a weird question...but ...I hate wearing...
marc_ia
Eyeliner that will not smear? Have oily skin
Is there any other poster that has oily eye lids? I...
colorcrazy
twisted silver chain
When I was in Poland a friend gave me a silver chain...
bleusblue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™