Should I keep this tile floor?

purplepansiesJanuary 26, 2014

We are doing a facelift of the only bathroom in our house. The tile floor (from 1955) seems to be in fairly decent shape, but try as I might, I cannot get it as clean as I'd like. Plus, the grout lines are nasty-dirty. Is it possible to clean/restore this tile to its original state? Are there companies that do this kind of work, and if so, what type of company should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jewelisfabulous

It's a beautiful modified basket weave pattern that is a very current look. You can clean the grout using phosphoric acid and a grout brush. You may not see the difference right away, but about 2 days later, you'll be amazed. The tile can be cleaned and polished by a floor company specializing in tile.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 10:24AM
Trebruchet

Clean it and keep it.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 10:56AM
pdx7700

Definitely try and keep it!

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 3:09PM
enduring

I've heard that people have used Oxiclean to clean grout. I have never used it. Grout is a cementous material so alkaline. Keep us posted on how this turns out for you. I like the tile too.

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 7:01AM
purplepansies

Thanks everyone. If it can be cleaned and restored, we will keep it. I'll do some more research and see what would be the best way to tackle this. That's a lot of grout! :)

Are there companies that clean and restore tile floors? I guess I can stop in to a local tile shop and see if they know anyone who does that sort of thing.

I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again!

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 10:43AM
pricklypearcactus

It looks absolutely gorgeous and I would definitely try to keep it if it were in my home. Personally I would look into how best to clean old ceramic tiles and do that. I would also probably remove the grout myself and re-grout. (But I'm comfortable doing DIY and tedious manual labor if I have a goal in mind.)

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 11:45AM
colorblind1961

We used Stanley Steemer on our bathroom tiled Hexagon floors. Came out AMAZING!!

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 1:09PM
Babka NorCal 9b

A lot of carpet cleaning companies these days have branched out to cleaning tile floors. I'm sure you won't have a problem getting your floor cleaned up. Once you do that, you get have a better idea of the state of the grout and if it needs to be patched or replaced. Nice floor!

-Babka

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
The towel ring and the towel bar
The last bit for my bathroom arrived today, a hand...
Linelle
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
Classic looking offset vanity top?
I'm planning out a bathroom remodel for a 1920s Craftsman...
resseger
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™