Virco now available on line at Costco.com

bsbbqJune 27, 2002

Finally, for those of you interested, Costco has finally added the Virco to their online store. I guess it wasn't just a "Flash-in-the-pan" :o)

http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=product%2Easp&catid=114&subid=115&hierid=236&prdid=10023572&log=

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bsbbq

Active Link

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=product%2Easp&catid=114&subid=115&hierid=236&prdid=10023572&log=

Bookmark   June 27, 2002 at 12:27PM
aakin

My Virco didn't come with the propane tank. According to the product description on their web site it says it comes with a tank.

See for yourself:

"This grill can be used with both LP (liquid propane) and natural gas and comes equipped with a high-capacity hose/regulator assembly for connection to a standard 20-lb. low pressure tank (tank included)."

Bookmark   June 27, 2002 at 12:55PM
bsbbq

Good catch! I didn't notice that, but I am sure it is a typo. I didn't receive one either, but I converted to NG so I don't even really need it.

Bookmark   June 27, 2002 at 1:04PM
bsbbq

I just got off the phone with Costco, they are going to research the "tank" issue and get back with me in 24-48 hours. I will post the findings here.

Bookmark   June 27, 2002 at 1:32PM
meagain

Wow! How about that!

Bookmark   June 27, 2002 at 1:39PM
bsbbq

I just checked the Costco web site and they have already fixed the typo to "Tank not included". That didn't take long :o)

Bookmark   June 27, 2002 at 9:06PM
dhho1

Hi,

I saw that you had converted your Virco to NG. How was the procedure? Was it easy? Did u get a new regulator for it? I called the Virco Associate and ordered the conversion kit and the Rep said the kit does not come with a NG regulator. What else do we have to buy if we want to do the conversion? Please let me know the (detail) procedure and any additional parts that we need. Thanks.

Bookmark   June 28, 2002 at 4:44PM
spambdamn_rich

Normally propane is delivered at high pressure from within the tank. Additionally, an overfull tank can dump liquid propane into the lines, which can then expand to gas and cause even higher pressures. Thus, a regulator is needed for propane appliances. Natural gas is supplie to homes at much lower pressures, and homes have a regulator at the gas meter to further lower it. So maybe that's why a NG regulator is not supplied with the conversion kit, and perhaps it is not needed.

Bookmark   June 28, 2002 at 5:49PM
bsbbq

Converting to NG was quite easy. You will need to obtain a hose to hook up the grill to your gas line. I purchased mine at Home Depot. It is made by Charbroil, is a 12' long hose that attached directly to the grill on one end and has a quick disconnect fitting on the other end. The fitting has a female 3/8" pipe fitting on it, so if you have a standard 1/2" pipe stub, all you need is a reducer and some thread tape.

I personally didn't use a regulator. Some people feel it is helpful in maintaining a certain pressure, but I haven't seen a need for one. I installed a gas pool heater a couple of years ago and didn't put one on there either, no problems with that. After all, I think that is one thing the gas meter does for all of your appliances anyway.

The kit that you will get from Virco should contain all new valves with the orifices in them already. I am not sure why they do that, the valves seem the same and the orifices just screw in. You will also get a new "cage" for the side burner that mounts underneath it. The easiest way, for me at least, was to first remove the knobs from the front of the grill (after of course turning off, disconnecting, and removing the lp tank). Then, if you look under the edge of the control panel, you will need to undo the lp hose, the fitting for the side burner, and the fitting for the rear burner. Once you remove these, then disassemble the ignitors. This is done by simply unscrewing the buttons and removing the batteries, then unscrew the plastic nuts that hold the ignitor assemblies to the front panel, remove the assemblies from the rear of the panel and let hang. Now, you can remove the four screw (two on each end) of the front panel, and the panel will come off.
With the panel off you can now replace the valves. You will need to disassemble the side burner to replace that orifice, it is pretty strait forward. The rear burner orifice needs to be replaced as well. Just remove the cover on the rear of the bbq (two screws). I Hope this helps, I am sure you will find it easy.

Bookmark   June 28, 2002 at 6:02PM
technimac

Great information bsbbq. Is the fitting on the Virco 3/8" or is it 1/2"? I know some connector hoses are available in both sizes. Getting a quick-connect outlet makes using the grill a lot easier. Thanks for any additional information

Bookmark   June 28, 2002 at 8:40PM
spambdamn_rich

Since propane carries 2.5 times the BTU's that NG does, the new orifices (or jets) for natural gas are probably larger than the ones for propane. The valving may be different to allow for a larger total amount of gas to flow to the jets, not sure on that one either. Perhaps the low setting is a bit higher than that for propane, as well.

Sounds like a piece of cake. Except Charbroil grills tend to be less powerful than grills like the Virco. I wonder if a 3/8" fitting allows enough gas to get to the grill for all three main burners (60,000 BTU) but I guess if you say it's ok, it's ok ;-).

Bookmark   June 28, 2002 at 9:38PM
bsbbq

Spambdamn_rich,
I was worried about that hose size myself but the inside of the hose is 5/16" which is the same size as the manifold on the grill that it hooks up to. I haven't had any problem yet. I have had all three of my burners on high and the side burner on, and still easily reached 450+.

Technimac,
The one end of the Charbroil hose is 3/8" flare fitting, which fits right where the LP hose is now on your grill. The other end is a quick disconnect fitting which has female 3/8" pipe threads. The 1/2" I was referring to is the standard size that most stubs might be if you already have one. I didn't have a line run, but I ran a 1/2" line in my basement about 25' to the outside wall, then came through the siding with a six inch strait piece. Outside I used an "elbow" pointing down. The elbow was also a reducer, one end with 1/2" pipe threads, the other with 3/8" pipe threads, then I just used a short 1" piece of 3/8" pipe, threaded on both ends, to go into the elbow, then the quick disconnect fitting that came with the hose simply attaches there on the short nipple. All joints received a generous supply of teflon pipe tape and plenty of torque. After I was complete, I turned the gas back on to my house and checked all the joints with a soapy water solution in a spray bottle. If there is a leak, the gas will "blow a bubble" in the solution.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Bookmark   June 29, 2002 at 1:07AM
dhho1

bsbbq,

thanks so much for the detailed procedure. So we have to disconnect and remove the LP regulator and its hose and replace the NG hose with it, no regulator needed (kind of dumb question but I have never play with any kind of GAS before).

You deserve the CGE title more than that obnoxious self proclaimed person. :P

Again, thanks.

Bookmark   July 2, 2002 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
How long one can use Grill (Life time)
Hi, My previous owner left us Grand Turbo grill by...
ritholtz
Bakers and Chefs gas grills ????
Anybody know about these grills that Sam's Clubs sell...
jimt
What are your most useful appliances in outdoor kitchen
We are in the design stages for our outdoor grilling...
squwhat
Natural gas line connection to grill
I want to get a natural gas grill, and this is what...
Rakster
Ironworks gas grill
Greetings, Does anyone have any experience or knowledge...
sundance1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™