selecting a grill

eandhlJune 12, 2008

I am looking at grills. Just two of us 80% of the time, 4 of us another 15% of the time and about 5% party. Oh, we do have a wood outdoor FP bbq for parties too.

We do grill lots of veggies, chicken breasts and fish. Might be a rare steak or pork tenderloin too.

Our needs don't seem to justify the $500 and up range but I am looking at the Weber Spirit 200 and 300. I did a search but very little mentioned on these grills and I know little about gas grills. Can anyone offer any info on these or what you think would be good choice seeing our needs? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eal51

I understand where you are coming from. Only two of us and we grill alot in the spring - summer - fall. Occassionally, we grill for more when we have a party or the boys & families come over.

I got a Napolean 450RBI last father's day. More than $500.00 but worth every penny. I especially like infrared burner for steaks and burgers. The logic was a get a good one that will last at least 10 to 15 years and cover all your grilling needs.

Weber makes excellent grills but I would look at their higher priced lines. You do get alot of bang for your buck.

Enjoy the journey.
eal51 in western CT

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 4:12PM
eandhl

We are from CT too, never heard of a Napolean. I will look around more. Do you think the Spirits are made cheaply?
I do the know infrared is great broiling. My DCS range has it. It just seems like so much money for a couple of Chicken breasts or a summer squash. That is what I usually do. Thanks for info.

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 4:26PM
stevep2005

IR is wonderful for grilling meats. The next best thing to time-consuming lump charcoal. The Napoleon is quality but can get pricey when you start adding IR units.

If you can afford $2k-$5000 on a grill, there are many great IR options. The only affordable brand I've seen advertise with IR cooking surface burners (as opposed to rotisserie) is Char-Broil. Their
"Commercial Series w/Quantum Infrared Grates" is 499 at Lowes. I can't speak to its quality but it's worth a look. If you are not use to the intense power of the IR burners, you might want to consider a grill with both traditional and IR burners.

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
Ceramic vs Gas - is it practical?
I will be installing a new grill this summer in an...
Lucky_Rugger
Best Gas Grill
We are building a new home and looking to build an...
litlmikeyb
Member's Mark Gas Grills Part 3 (Continued Discussion)
This discussion thread is about the Member's Mark stainless...
Ladd
what equipment should be bring in Barbecue
I'm going to and my friends crazy once before back...
junho
Bakers and Chefs gas grills ????
Anybody know about these grills that Sam's Clubs sell...
jimt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™