false drawer fronts on bathroom vanities?

illinigirlJanuary 10, 2014

Or should I eliminate those and make the doors taller? Which is better or considered to look nicer?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catbuilder

I prefer a taller door to a false front. I think it looks more elegant.

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 9:51AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

It depends on the overall design. Some people like the drawer fronts to be able to use the flip out trays to place their rings when washing their hands etc.

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 9:53AM
may_flowers

Will the false front match the door style? I don't like the tall doors and might not like just a plain slab front. Depends on the style and the finish. We have this vanity in a 36" and the panel runs across the entire front.

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 11:55AM
raehelen

This is a personal choice. It would be best if you could see both versions side by side. ie one with the false drawer front, and one with just doors. If not in real life, even drawing it out on graph paper might help!

We had our guest vanity made with just the doors, and one added benefit is that it really increases your access to stuff under the sink. We had a pullout drawer made, so no more awkwardly laying on floor to reach stuff in the back!

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 9:02PM
enduring

Draw your choices up on paper as Raehelen suggested. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just for you to get a feel. That is how I made my decision.

Here is my full height vanity door and under sink area with pullouts. It is a frameless cabinet. Never had one before. It has a nice 3" rail inside at the top of the opening. Maker said he does that to add a better finish. Hides the under part of the sink a bit more too. I have yet to get the counter and sink in.

Here is my full length door (I it wasn't matched as well as I'd like with the drawers, but it was from the same veneer I am told, and my peps thought it would be impossible to get it better.)

You can see the top rail that is about 3" wide running across the top of the opening, extending down below the top of the vanity. With pullouts similar to what Raehelen referred to having in her vanity:

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 9:36PM
divotdiva

I would prefer the tilt out drawer to put rings, toothbrush, etc., in. I did not win the discussion on ours as hubby did not want to increase the price of the cabinets. Mine will have false front but I will use the handle to hang small hand towel on.

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 1:18AM
publickman

Full length doors will make it easier to access the plumbing, and so I used those when I designed my mother's vanity - partly because my father and I were installing the plumbing. I also think that they look better. I gave her four drawers beside the doors, and it looked balanced.

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 5:08PM
mongoct

I do prefer a drawer, for several years now I've been making the sink drawer a "U" shaped drawer to fit around the sink tailpiece.

You still get a full-length pull out drawer on slides, but instead of it being a "complete" drawer, you just get a few inches of drawer space in front of the drain tailpiece as well as a few inches on both the left and right sides of the sink tailpiece.

Much does indeed depend on the sink dimensions.

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Does anyone have a partial glass partition for their shower?
I've seen quite a few photos of new showers with just...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Shower screen
I am looking to change my bathroom from a separate...
timcar
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Are there any materials that make the bathroom difficult to clean?
If you get a glass door for a shower, is that difficult...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™