Saw this Villeroy and Boch platter at my local thrift store.

centralcacyclistJune 10, 2010

It caught my eye as I walked by one day. They want 50.00 for it. Should I buy it? It is exactly the same as the one in this link. Perhaps with a bit more wear to the glaze. No chips.

Here is a link that might be useful: ANTIQUE VILLEROY & BOCH DRESDEN FLOW BLUE

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweeby

How large is it?
And do you love it?

IMO, $50 actually isn't a bad retail price for it; but if you love several others just as much, you could find something else equally nice on eBay for less money.

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 1:26PM
lindac

Is it really an 18 inch platter??
I suggest you go looking for another 18 inch platter for less....not to mention a lovely one.
If you like it and need a big platter....the price is good.
Linda c

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 6:43PM
centralcacyclist

It's big. It is an 18" platter. I wondered why the thrift store would have such a hefty price on it so I looked it up. Worthpoint indicates it's an 1880s pattern. I wonder what it sold for but not enough to join. It caught my eye because that sort of thing would catch my eye. This looks quite old. And I liked it. I don't need it by any means. This thrift store rarely has dishes that are more than a dollar or 2. I poke around for kitchen gadgets now and then.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 12:12AM
karinl

Speaking for myself I would buy it because (a) it's the kind of blue/white design I like - not your standard transferware or whatever it's called - this is what I think would be a Scandinavian style and I don't see it that often, (b) (sorry Sweeby) to he!! with what you can get on line. You and this plate are both in your city, you can support your local economy and don't need to take the risk or cost of shipping, and (c) (sorry Linda) to he!! with shopping around for another one for less; what's your time worth? And what are the chances of finding one you like as much?

Bottom line though, can you afford to indulge yourself? Always assume you might not be able to sell it for same (imagine you break it) - can you live with that?

KarinL

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
Walnut Art Nouvaux Sideboard Advice Needed
Howdy, First post from a long-time lurker. We purchased...
markwingalls
Radio /turntable
Hi, I was given this radio/turntable and wish to know...
koolkat62
Home Design Show in NYC
click to win tickets http://www.architecturaldigest.com/win-adhds-tickets...
ami1026
Need help with Collection Francaise Lamps
Hi, I am trying to find out some information about...
susan0830
Sponsored Products
Graphite & Orange 4-Gal. Rectangle Bucket Caddy
$6.99 | zulily
Menlo Park Three-Light Old Bronze Chandelier
$750.00 | Bellacor
Surya Surroundings SUR-1003 Area Rug Multicolor - SUR1003-23
$97.95 | Hayneedle
Zuo Modern Jasper Floor Lamp in Antique Black Gold
Beyond Stores
Extra Wide Chopping Board
| Dot & Bo