Yipes! New tank installation gone wrong? Help?

meagainJune 23, 2002

We ran out of fuel & replaced our propane tank. When we fired up the grill, there was a humming/whistling sound. The sound increases as we crank the heat.

Can anyone share what causes this? Is the tank somehow defective or did DH install it wrong? This is our 2nd tank replacement. No problems with the first switch. The sound is really irritating.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bsbbq

I had this happen on occasion as well. The sound seemed to come from the regulator. When you grabbed it, you could feel the vibration. I called Virco and they promptly replaced it. I don't have that problem anymore, especially since I converted to NG last week, very nice. Good luck.

Bookmark   June 24, 2002 at 11:07AM
meagain

Really? I figured it was the new tank. We haven't had this problem before when we replaced tanks and the noise just started the minute we put a new one in so I assumed it was the install for the tank or the tank was defective somehow. :(

Bookmark   June 24, 2002 at 12:32PM
spambdamn_rich

I noticed a slight whining sound tonight while I was grilling a steak. I have a burner on my indoor gas cooktop that does a similar thing, so I figured it was the burner or control valve. I'll check it out again.

Bookmark   June 25, 2002 at 1:07AM
spambdamn_rich

I checked again and the noise happens whenever i have a single burner turned on. It appears to be coming from the regulator, although I can't feel any vibration.

Bookmark   June 25, 2002 at 1:04PM
Utah_Jake

Try this. Turn off tank. Open burner valves for five minutes. close valves and open tank very slowly. Open burner valve furthest away from regulator slowly and light. Do same with other. Let us know what happened.

Bookmark   June 29, 2002 at 3:55PM
spambdamn_rich

I cooked some hot dogs today on the central burner and didn't notice any return of the whining sound. However I did have to fiddle with the ignitors for a half an hour until I was satisfied with their performance. Interesting, the ignitor module has four outputs, which are paired. So the gaps for the burner ignitors need to be evenly spaced, or balanced, so that the spark is even. Also, the leads to the ignitor module were a bit loose, so I took some pliers and crimped the female bayonet connectors on the leads to make for a better connection. I also filed a bit of a rough spot on the burners where the ignitors spark. After all that, the ignitors seem to be working better.

Oh, and guess who makes the ignitor module? Grand Hall!!!

Bookmark   June 29, 2002 at 9:06PM
meagain

I'm happy to report the sound magically went away. It just occurred the day we put the new tank in. Hmmm...

Re the igniters - When I first brought it home, 2 burners wouldn't start so we simply pushed that little filament thing a hair closer with our fingers - all 3 burners light instantly ever since. Perhaps it got a bit out of wack in shipping. But I must admit I was dejected, thinking I had a dud grill.

Made Fajitas tonight. :)

Bookmark   June 30, 2002 at 12:08AM
spambdamn_rich

I did the same thing, pushing the ignitors around. But... after doing a 575F max heat test, they stopped sparking consistently. I took it all apart today, removed the ignitor module, probed it with infallible logic, and hooked it back up again. Not sure if it's defective or not. I guess I'll have to call Virco. They're working now, though.

Bookmark   June 30, 2002 at 3:02AM
meagain

The sound came back today. :(

Bookmark   July 2, 2002 at 1:53AM
delray

I have the sound as well, (humming/vibration from regulator). Sometimes it does not vibrate/sound, but when it does the more gas being used = louder the humming. I assume it is a regulator problem and will get a replacement from Virco when I get annoyed enough.

Bookmark   July 2, 2002 at 2:35PM
bsbbq

Delray,
I had the same problem with mine and Virco promptly replaced it. No noise after that.

Bookmark   July 2, 2002 at 2:48PM
meagain

Did you have to send the part back or did they just give you one. Would hate to be without my grill.

Bookmark   July 2, 2002 at 6:17PM
bsbbq

They just sent one, took a few days.

Bookmark   July 2, 2002 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
Natural gas line connection to grill
I want to get a natural gas grill, and this is what...
Rakster
How long one can use Grill (Life time)
Hi, My previous owner left us Grand Turbo grill by...
ritholtz
Flames too high?
So I brought a new Brinkmann 6 burner grill from Home...
robbversion1
Ceramic vs Gas - is it practical?
I will be installing a new grill this summer in an...
Lucky_Rugger
Stereo for BBQ Island
Hello - Anyone have an outdoor stereo installed in...
wardman
Sponsored Products
VIGO Rectangular Amber Sunset Glass Vessel Sink and Faucet Set in Oil Rubbed Bro
Modern Bathroom
Tercera Ceiling Fan by Casablanca Fan Company
$359.00 | Lumens
JOOLA USA iPong Training Robot - I1
$149.99 | Hayneedle
World Imports Pendant Lights Chatham Collection Hanging Mount Outdoor French
Home Depot
Mambo Area Rug - 2' x 3'
Grandin Road
World Imports SCRT300CP Schon Chrome Faucet
Littman Bros Lighting
Justice Design Group 3-light Flat Rim Cylinder Clouds Resin Bath Bar Fixture