China closet

QuiltnDebJune 8, 2013

Cleaning out a house for estate sale and have no idea age, description, value of china closet. Can anyone help? Have searched images and cannot find one close to this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texasredhead

It is an extrodinary piece. As best as I can tell it appears to be chip-n-dale. It is hard to determine the wood but based on the color it could be mahogany or walnut. My guess is that it is early 20th century maybe 1920 or so. I have seen pieces similar in antique stores in Texas, in the $3,000+range.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 11:15AM
lazy_gardens

I disagree with Texasredhead ... if he or she cannot spell Chippendale it's unlikely they can identify antiques.

It's a nice piece, probably 1930s or 1940s, but far from $3,000. $300 is more like it.

I can't tell what the wood is - can you take a well-lit closeup of it?

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 6:26PM
QuiltnDeb

top of china closet

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 7:35PM
QuiltnDeb

Closer image of front. These are best I have on hand now. Will try to take better ones with more light tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 7:37PM
lazy_gardens

My guess is that it's walnut.

Oak has obvious holes in the grain.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 8:46PM
stocky

My 2cents . It's a pretty basic china cabinet . Not close to $3K . $300 is more like it as Lazy said .
It's either Walnut or a generic white wood like Poplar ( I'd say Poplar ) . Also the lattice ( the wood cut outs ) behind the glass are supposed to be on the outside , not the inside .

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 10:21PM
QuiltnDeb

More photo's.....

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:07PM
QuiltnDeb

Lock

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:08PM
QuiltnDeb

Foot with roller. Also I noticed today that the glass is wavy and lot no 886 stamped on the back.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:11PM
texasredhead

The more I look at the pictures, it appears the Chippendale design is etched into the glass. As for those who wonder about my gender, I am a man with a mane of red hair.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 10:42AM
rafor

I bought one like it for $60 at an auction. It didn't have the design on the glass doors, but otherwise was the same.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:05PM
egbar

mock Chippendale was everywhere in the 1950's when I was growing up. Most I remember was poplar or similar soft woods stained dark. My grandparents had a desk and a cabinet with this sort of stain and feet. Don't know the era it was made (40's maybe?) I came along in the early 50's and remember most of the neighbors had some, as well as both sets of grandparents. I still see a lot of it as used furniture but a lot of it has been repainted for the shabby chic decorating craze. the thing I like about the ones I have seen is that they tend to be small scale, and are very useful for smaller rooms; like this useful piece, they are mostly functional in design. none is very expensive, these were mass produced pieces for the booming population of middle class people.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 7:46AM
egbar

mock Chippendale was everywhere in the 1950's when I was growing up. Most I remember was poplar or similar soft woods stained dark. My grandparents had a desk and a cabinet with this sort of stain and feet. Don't know the era it was made (40's maybe?) I came along in the early 50's and remember most of the neighbors had some, as well as both sets of grandparents. I still see a lot of it as used furniture but a lot of it has been repainted for the shabby chic decorating craze. the thing I like about the ones I have seen is that they tend to be small scale, and are very useful for smaller rooms; like this useful piece, they are mostly functional in design. none is very expensive, these were mass produced pieces for the booming population of middle class people.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 7:47AM
stocky

It's Walnut .... based on the close up pix with the key in the lock .

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 2:32PM
More Discussions
camelback sofa
Hello there - could anyone help me to identify the...
jerome_shorter
Japanese Floral Calendar Plate Collection by Hamilton
I was given a set of 12 Japanese Chokin plates by a...
alygal
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
Need Help to ID Native American Jewelry Bracelet
I picked this up at local garage sale and thought it...
devincu
Why isn't furniture selling?
I've been trying to sell this 45" diameter vintage...
debodun
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™