Need suggestions for rough shower floor - dog shower in garage

smargeJanuary 7, 2008

Hi, I'm having a dog shower put in our garage and am having trouble figuring out what to put on the shower floor. I originally thought we'd just have plain cement with a drain, like you see in horse barns for cleaning the horses, but the GC said no. Instead, he bought a pre-formed vinyl shower pan, and I said no, b/c I'm pretty sure my labrador retriever's nails will do a lot of damage and it will look terrible in short order. I was also hoping for something very low maintenanance, as in hose it off and call it a day.

My next thought was to do 1" mesh slate tiles, because they look nice and are rough. Not good either; I've read they flake, and the slate colors bleed into the grout. Does anyone know of a porcelain tile that has a lot of texture for traction, and that comes in a fairly natural, darker look?

Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slc2053

Smarge...

I wouldn't rule out slate...we have slate in an older home (it's about 60 years old). We've lived there 15 years and have never done a thing to it and it gets abused by our chocolate lab and we use this entry way...daily! It's constantly getting wet and muddy....when I do get around to wiping it down it looks just fine...but I'm sure others here will give you good advice.

We too are considering such a doggie set up in a future home build ..I would LOVE to see a floor plan of this area to see how you're setting it up! Thanks.

Bookmark   January 7, 2008 at 9:08AM
piegirltoo

Dog shower? I'm envious!!

Do you think you might want a raised platform or tub for washing your dog? I wash my 3 dogs outside. I finally figured out my back feels a WHOLE lot better if I have the dog stand up on the deck which is about 30 inches above the ground where I stand.

I think a 1" square tile would be fine. Maybe unglazed porcelain?

Good luck!

Bookmark   January 7, 2008 at 12:24PM
bill_vincent

What about doing the concrete and painting it with an epoxy paint? You could even add sand to the paint to give it a little slip resistance, if you like.

Bookmark   January 7, 2008 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
HELP! Is this an acylic or fiberglass tub?
Here's a photo of the side. Can anyone identify this...
wmcjhi
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
air /jacuzzi tub help. need to decide ASAP
http://www.costco.com/Access-Tubs-Venetian-Dual-System-Bathtub.product.100057666.html I...
matdrew
Quality manufacturer of bathroom fixtures?
We would like to purchase the best quality for a low...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™