Need suggestions for rough shower floor - dog shower in garage

smargeJanuary 7, 2008

Hi, I'm having a dog shower put in our garage and am having trouble figuring out what to put on the shower floor. I originally thought we'd just have plain cement with a drain, like you see in horse barns for cleaning the horses, but the GC said no. Instead, he bought a pre-formed vinyl shower pan, and I said no, b/c I'm pretty sure my labrador retriever's nails will do a lot of damage and it will look terrible in short order. I was also hoping for something very low maintenanance, as in hose it off and call it a day.

My next thought was to do 1" mesh slate tiles, because they look nice and are rough. Not good either; I've read they flake, and the slate colors bleed into the grout. Does anyone know of a porcelain tile that has a lot of texture for traction, and that comes in a fairly natural, darker look?

Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slc2053

Smarge...

I wouldn't rule out slate...we have slate in an older home (it's about 60 years old). We've lived there 15 years and have never done a thing to it and it gets abused by our chocolate lab and we use this entry way...daily! It's constantly getting wet and muddy....when I do get around to wiping it down it looks just fine...but I'm sure others here will give you good advice.

We too are considering such a doggie set up in a future home build ..I would LOVE to see a floor plan of this area to see how you're setting it up! Thanks.

Bookmark   January 7, 2008 at 9:08AM
piegirltoo

Dog shower? I'm envious!!

Do you think you might want a raised platform or tub for washing your dog? I wash my 3 dogs outside. I finally figured out my back feels a WHOLE lot better if I have the dog stand up on the deck which is about 30 inches above the ground where I stand.

I think a 1" square tile would be fine. Maybe unglazed porcelain?

Good luck!

Bookmark   January 7, 2008 at 12:24PM
bill_vincent

What about doing the concrete and painting it with an epoxy paint? You could even add sand to the paint to give it a little slip resistance, if you like.

Bookmark   January 7, 2008 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
Contractor messed up shower pan. Fixable?
My contractor who I'm firing tomorrow messed up my...
gwrussp
Toilets, anyone?
Ten years ago we put in the Toto Ultramax after reading...
anniel58
banjo sink? opinions?
just learned that a BANJO sink is one (or its surrounding...
mainewire
Layout help
Hello, I wanted to ask for feedback on my planned layout...
caligirl5
Sponsored Products
Stafford Ceiling Fan by Fanimation Fans
$249.00 | Lumens
Travessa Bronze 16 1/2" High Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Yellow & Blue Three-Bin Storage Shelf
$37.99 | zulily
MaxLite LSU4806SU30DV50 4 Foot LED Utility Wrap Fixture, 5000K
EnvironmentalLights.com
MaxLite LSV4806SU30DV40 4 Foot LED Vapor Tight Fixture, 4000K
EnvironmentalLights.com