beadboard

mhollieJanuary 27, 2008

Does anyone know the type of (water resistant) beadboard I would use in a bathroom? Also, what is standard as to the height of the beadboard. We will be putting it all around our bathroom as well as around the soaking tub so I want to be sure i purchase the correct water resistant type.

Thanks so much. This forum has been so helpful in the planning of my bathroom.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aunttomichael

I have heard recommendations for AZEK PVC beadboard. We just went with (well-primed) wood beadboard around our clawfoot tub. Not sure about standard height for beadboard but the trim above our beadboard is 40 inches off the ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: PVC Beadboard

Bookmark   January 27, 2008 at 10:50AM
mhollie

Thanks for your help. I'll definetely look into the pvc beadboard.

Bookmark   January 27, 2008 at 12:28PM
mhollie

Is well primed beadboard as water resistant as PVC?

Bookmark   January 27, 2008 at 9:02PM
thull

Nothing is as water resistant as PVC. But then you aren't using the bathroom like a big tub and filling it up 40" deep with water, either.

I think that, if the boards are primed on the back/end and you leave a little gap at the base you'll be fine. The gap then gets covered w/ baseboard. Priming may also help w/ seasonal movement of the joints.

Azek is great stuff- but it's expensive and it needs a lot of support to stay straight. You can paint easily but it may still feel/sound like plastic if you whack on it.

Marine paint like Interlux is expensive, too, but it might be relatively cheaper to do wood and paint it with that.

Bookmark   January 28, 2008 at 10:46AM
mhollie

Thanks... u gave me some things to think about. I wish my contractor would sit down and discuss things with me but instead I feel like the only help i get is in this forum. I appreciate everyone helping me out.. thanks so much!

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 4:46PM
anne7

I'm definitely considering PVC for two baths. What do you think of finishing beadboard (wood or PVC) with ceramic tile baseboard, tile floor?

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 5:17PM
mhollie

Not quite sure how that would look. THen again, I truly lack vision. I never have any idea how things are going to look until they are done.

Bookmark   February 1, 2008 at 10:08AM
gabedad

We used the azek in our bathroom - It came out great - it looks and feels like real wood painted.

A probably cheaper (I don't know) and probably more practical approad may be moisture resistant indoor material from nantucket beadboard. I have not checked it out and only found after we put up the azek.

Here is a link that might be useful: nantucket beadboard

Bookmark   February 1, 2008 at 1:05PM
mhollie

Thanks... I'll definetely look into the Nantucket. My contractor will probably tack more money on to the price if I do go with the Azek.

Bookmark   February 2, 2008 at 9:59AM
sheilaaus122

The question I have, is what do you do with the tile that is on the wall perpendicular to the floor? Does that come off or does the beadboard go above it? I do think it is a great look and appeals to me, just not sure how involved I want to go.

Bookmark   March 4, 2008 at 10:37AM
smarge

Our GC is going to install PVC beadboard in our kids' bathrooms, and he already installed it on the ceiling of an outdoor porch and it looks really nice!

Bookmark   March 4, 2008 at 11:56PM
sheilaaus122

Guess I will cut and paste my question above-

The question I have, is what do you do with the tile that is on the wall perpendicular to the floor? Does that come off or does the beadboard go above it?

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 8:03AM
fitzwilli

We used tile that looks like beadboard.

I've linked some pictures for you to see. Got the tile a few years ago at Expo.

Maybe you could paint it with Cabinet Coat to make it more durable to the elements.

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 5:02PM
DLM2000

You're asking about tile that is essentially the baseboard? What I'm picturing is the traditional curved bottom tile with the finished upper edge (I'm sure there's a name for it - curb tile maybe?) probably 4" or 6" - right? IMO and it's just an opinion, that won't look right with the beadboard. A nice wood baseboard installed over the beadboard will look much more appropriate. If you picture the beadboard being installed above your existing tile, you'll have an unfinished edge at the bottom that's not covered. Clear as mud?

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 5:43PM
karenforroses

We used the Georgia Pacific Ply-Bead Panels in our kitchen and bathroom. They are very sturdy (much heavier than the cheap beadboard paneling we saw in a number of places, yet in convenient 4 x 8 panels, and not as costly as the individual tongue & groove wood. They can even be used on porches and are more moisture resistant than many options. We love ours!

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 9:59PM
kevinbct

Karen, Ply-bead looks great. I'm wondering how you finished it. I just recently installed it in a Hallway, staircase and upstairs. But even though it's presanded and ready to paint, to me it looks like it still needs another sanding before I prime it with Bins 123 and paint it with Ben Moore Satin Impervo. Did you sand your ply-bead before painting?

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Which latricrete products for full shower build?
I'm a bit confused about all the various Latricrete...
cataan
robe hook in frameless shower glass?
Does anyone have experience with robe hooks in frameless...
nellie08
My afterthought bathroom REVEAL
I was doing a major remodel on a guest bathroom and...
shappy22
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
Lighted Tub/Shower Niche
Anyone ever wire a light into your shower niche? I...
monicakm_gw
Sponsored Products
White South Bay Beadboard Three-Photo Frame
$17.99 | zulily
Home Decorators Collection Hampers Hampton Bay 26 in. W Dbl Tilt-Out Beadboard
Home Depot
Descartes Nightstand
FRONTGATE
Casey Daybed - White - Full - RN743
$599.99 | Hayneedle
Casey Daybed-Honey Maple Multicolor - RN643
$499.99 | Hayneedle