Paneling a basement

rugby15December 11, 2007

I'm building a small wine cellar in my basement. Can I attach paneling to furring strips to already Drylocked walls? Do I need any insulation, if so what would be best? I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

Do you anticipate attaching anything to the walls like shelving or anchorage for tall furniture resting against the wall? If yes, furring strips are not substantial enough. Personally I am not a proponent of furring strips because, unless the additional 2.5" of space is critical, they may not adapt for future changes/needs.

What is the quality (rigidity) of the paneling and what c to c will be the span? Lightweight (flexible) paneling anchors better when glued to an existing wall surface. Drywall is no more difficult to hang than paneling and probably less costly.

Wine keeps best at a uniform temperature, so insulating the interior walls will be beneficial.

This should not make the build-out any more difficult. Generally using the right materials actually simplifies projects. Good luck.

Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 7:20AM
bus_driver

If the paneling is for decorative purposes, note that the printed hardboard paneling is very sensitive to moisture changes and will show ripples in the surface in almost every installation.

Bookmark   December 15, 2007 at 9:14AM
rugby15

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to frame the walls w/2x4's, add ridgid foam board insulation, and moisture resistant drywall, and finally put on the paneling.

I'm going for an old brick look. I priced out using brick veneer and it was way too expensive, hence the faux brick paneling.

Bookmark   December 15, 2007 at 7:08PM
fnmroberts

Sounds like you're on the right track. Be certain to use a pressure treated 2 x 4 for the base plate.

We saw a TV program several years ago where a wine cellar was created using clay tile. The concept was very simple and unique so we adapted it for use in our basement. The tiles were very reasonable. A photo is amongst others of our basement linked from "My Page".

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
Basement wall insulation
Hello, I live in a 1952 English bungalow in Chicago...
kmalladi
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
lookintomyeyes83
water in unfinished basement
Well its in the 50s here in NJ and the snow is melting....
hoganjr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™