What to do around the house with a basement

minigreenhouseDecember 4, 2006

Just wondering whether or not it is a good idea to lay plastic on the ground around the house then mulch it so the water won't get into the basement?

Our yard has graded the way that the dirt is slopping away from the house. In addition to that, we were thinking whether or not it will help even more to lay plastic down and put mulch or leaf on top of it to preveny any water leaking into the basement for a added protection? Our basement is dry now.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

The most important thing is the grading. Sounds like that is correct already. Is this a new home? If yes, anticipate some settling of the backfill from construction. It is important that you add soil to maintain the grade when that occurs.

I don't recommend plastic. Instead, purchase some landscaping fabric which will prevent weed growth around your plantings while allowing the soil to breathe. You can mulch over the fabric. Otherwise good turf next to the foundation.

Bookmark   December 5, 2006 at 8:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
threedoghouse

It's also important to make sure the downspouts don't dump water right by the foundation. Bury some plastic pipe to move the water out to the yard.

Bookmark   December 5, 2006 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
Basement Plans Thoughts?
Hello, Planning to finishing my basement and hoping...
NYcRavi
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™