band joist and block webs

winchester_2008December 9, 2008

I am going to have closed cell durafoam sprayed on already framed walls 2 x 4. Should the foam cover the open webs on my block that are exposed? also if some of the studs are only 1/4 inch off block will that create a problem

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

The webs on concrete blocks are the solid part of the block.

If you're asking should the polyurethane spray cover part of the block as well as the sill plate and joist ends, "yes." The foam will also fill up the space between the existing framing and the concrete wall.

Filling the voids in concrete blocks doesn't do much for energy efficiency. (See link.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Insulated blocks

Bookmark   December 10, 2008 at 10:41AM
worthy

If you're spraying the entire wall with cc foam, that's the absolute best, though usually not the most economic, insulation method in my opinion.

Bookmark   December 10, 2008 at 1:07PM
winchester_2008

I already had fg insulation up and drywall and found condensation. Tore it all out down to the framing and having it sprayed. my concern is some of my studs are only 1/4 inch off of cinder block wall. will they be able to get enough spray behind them to do the trick?

Bookmark   December 10, 2008 at 4:02PM
worthy

Yes. It goes on as a liquid and immediately starts expanding. Be sure to mention your concern to the installer or his supervisor. Below is a pic of the foam I use.

Spraying BASF closed cell insulating foam
pic: Residential, Design Build Magazine

Bookmark   December 10, 2008 at 9:06PM
winchester_2008

I plan on cutting blocks of foam board to put in the tops of the exposed block that the sill plate sits on,that way the guy can spray a continuous coverage from the top of the band joist down over the sill over top of the block and down the wall between the framing.any way i can talk to you worthy

Bookmark   December 11, 2008 at 1:15PM
worthy

The top row of blocks were most likely filled on site with mortar or were semi-solid or solid, so that there's no need to put anything into the blocks.

You can pm if you wish. Click on "worthy", go to e mail option.

Bookmark   December 12, 2008 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™