Water Seeping...

mdr77December 14, 2008

A couple of days ago we had a heavy rain/ice storm in Massachusetts. After, I noticed that the carpet in one room of our finished basement was damp. We've pulled it up, thrown out that section of carpet (and padding). The floor appears damp on one side of the room (around 5ft by 5ft) and mainly next to where the wall/floor meet.

We are going to check our gutters, downspouts and grading around the house in that section, but my question is... should I have a contractor come and lay down a sealant first? Is Servpro a good provider or should I go with someone else?

Also, what type of sealant is best? I've read that latex doesn't last long. Is RadonSeal.com worth it? I'm a new (and lacking in knowledge) homeowner that is completely lost.

Any advice (or step by step actions) appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgmarie

I would check your downspouts before I called anyone out. You could well have a downspout problem that can easily be resolved.

Bookmark   December 14, 2008 at 10:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maryland_irisman

just my 2 cents....downspout issues and grading are the biggest culprits for what you describe. If you haven't had a problem before, I support what the other folks suggest, check downspouts and gutters.

Bookmark   December 30, 2008 at 8:46PM
More Discussions
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
Basement Plans Thoughts?
Hello, Planning to finishing my basement and hoping...
NYcRavi
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™