Does anyone have a really deep vanity?

aliris19January 28, 2013

I have to put a vanity into a master bath that's been sitting, done - ABV - for nearly two years now. DH is not happy but I just cannot get any vision or inspiration for this space. It is driving me absolutely nuts.

Can anyone help out?

The room is not huge but I don't have measurements just now. I will try to describe the layout. There is an entrance door in the middle of the short wall of a rectangle. To the left along the left wall is the toilet (there's a slight jog in the wall so the toilet is a little out of sight of the open door) and then along the further edge of that left wall is the tub. Straight across from the door is a window and then there is an open, deep wall to the right. As I recall the depth (from doorway to right wall) is about 30" and length is about 100". There is a single water source plumbed into the wall at about 30" from wall that adjoins the door-wall.

Does that even make any sense?

So I have to fashion a vanity along this right-wall. The room is fairly dark and the stone and tile I have in there is dark greyish travertine and the like.

I like the look of these tall towers or hutches that are built in to the vanity, but I don't know how I could incorporate that. If I put it close to the door I think it will loom and close in the room a lot. But anywhere else and I'm afraid it would just feel silly.

I don't think we need more than one sink; it's just more to clean. I have a square undermount kohler sink I like very much, about 17" x 19".

I guess my question is, if it's possible to tell from this description: would a tower along the right wall down by the door be too overpowering in such a space? Usually these tall towers seem to be set back across the space from a doorway, not be right next to what you walk into. If that right??

Sorry for the amorphous question.... any and all thoughts appreciated all the same!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treasuretheday

A floorplan, even drawn by hand with dimensions included, would be helpful to visualize the room. Do you have any photos you can post? If I'm picturing your room correctly, I agree that a tower very close to the door when you walk in is probably going to look overpowering but posting a layout of the room might lead to some alternative options to consider.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 6:11AM
may_flowers

I just went through the same thought process and have spent hours on Houzz. The single tower overpowers a single bowl vanity. What I wanted to do, before I canned the whole idea, was to recess the tower into the wall a few inches, like you would a medicine cabinet. It would look less boxy and preserve more counter space in front of the tower. I would make the tower only as tall as the mirror or slightly taller. I was going to front the tower with a mirror so that the entire length of the vanity was mirrored. But I didn't want my tower stuck in the corner because my door opens where it would block the tower.

I took Hollysprings' and GreenDesigns' advice and came up with another plan. I added another tower to balance it. But I decided it was too much for a guest bath and I'll just replace my 36" vanity and leave in the built-in linen closet we were going to take out.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 9:45AM
may_flowers

Here's the thread where I posted my cabinetmaker's single tower plan and the twin recessed mirrored towers from Houzz, along with GreenDesign's suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous thread

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 9:51AM
aliris19

Sorry mayflowers, didn't mean to ignore your response. I actually was inspired by that earlier thread of yours to write this one.

Treasures - I'll try to get something sketched up... I'm a little overwhelmed at this moment, so back on this later please.

Thanks!!

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 2:12AM
More Discussions
design help- white quartz countertops on vanity?
we are building a home & I am struggling with design...
misschris15
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
help choosing modern recessed lighting.
Oh my goodness this seems to be the hardest part of...
Edie Nicosia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™