How did I do?

sam_mdMay 21, 2011

Sorry for the lousy pic. I got this pine corner cupboard at a New Year's Day auction. It has 16 panes of wavey glass, one of which was broken. The glass is glazed on the inside. Original, functioning locks with key, sandwich knobs. Joinery is through mortised with pegs. It is just under 8' tall. The hammer came down at $750 which included buyer's premium and sales tax. So how did I do? Does that sound about right?

P.S. everyone here can relate, I have the pox BAD, seperate question about silver on another thread.

Sam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

If I'd been there you wouldn't have bought it for $750.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 9:32PM
pamghatten

That's beautiful!

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 9:18AM
cyn427

I think it's lovely, too. I have a similar one, but not sure it is pine, that was made by my great-great-great grandfather. Same knobs, doors (can't see your lower doors, but ours has raised panels that have veneer matched wood on them-crotch wood?). It was appraised four years ago for $12,000. I think $750 sounds like a very good price and you are lucky Linda wasn't there-lol!

I will look for the appraisal papers to see if I can add anything. You wouldn't happen to live in southeastern PA would you? It is so simialr, I am curious-who knows, maybe it was made by my relative. How much fun would that be?

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 10:32AM
sam_md

cyn427,
The panels on the bottom doors are raised on the interior. This was a consignment auction so the CC could have come from anywhere.
This is my first CC. Man are they dark!!!!
As you can just make out, there are electric lines on the shelves. The previous owner had the interior lighted, the bulbs are still there. The lines were cut at some point and I guess I will have to replace them. There's not much point in having treasures inside a dark CC if they cannot be seen, right?

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 7:29PM
lindac

No No NO!!! Do not muck up that lovely old cupboard with electric lights or I'll come and take it away from you!!!

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 10:59PM
karinl

What would you do, Linda, paint? The existing turquoise is a lovely shade, though it looks to need cleaning. I think I'd rather light than paint. But if you paint, you might not need to light. I might make one of my collectibles a lovely little lamp and jut make one tiny hole for its wire.

I have a dark cabinet that I just try to put light-coloured things in.

KarinL

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 12:33AM
antiquesilver

Absolutely beautiful cabinet; I'd clean & leave it the way it is. I can't wait to see a closeup of the silver - it looks reallllllly promising!

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 10:30AM
lindac

A cupboard I have was "mustard" when I bought it. I wanted to use it for my Mason's pink Vista...hardly complimenting colors! So I put a glaze of dilute burnt umber on it....very dilute so I could adjust the color....looks fine.
Antique cupboards are not lit... Fill it with your lovely silver and some white ironstone or Haviland or Meaken Tea leaf or old moss rose....things of the period and it will brighten the interior amazingly.
Stand some light colored plates against the walls and see what it does....and for heaven's sake take out that awful wiring!
Then show more pictures of that silver!

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 10:41AM
cyn427

It almost looks as if yours is a painted cupboard. I have a smaller piece (bedside table) that is painted and looks similar. A lot of the old pine pieces were painted, especially those from Pennsylvania (or at least most that I run across that still have their original paint seem to come from there).

If it isn't dark due to paint, then I would try to clean it. That might lighten it up some for you. I don't feel ours is so dark, but the wood is lighter, so perhaps that makes a difference. It is in a dark corner, but I have some crystal in it and the glass panes reflect light, too.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 8:41PM
InlandVintage

I think you did well....love the cabinet.

Take care,
Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: www.InlandVintage.com

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 12:10PM
powermuffin

I love it just the way it is too! Love the blue/aqua with the dark exterior. Nice find!
Diane

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
W H Grindley Satin White
Can someone help me to identify the pattern? The stamp...
TulipWoolf
Vase no marks new or old ?
I have this vase with no mark at bottom, it's real...
Dones
Three crown stamp on fork: Swedish or U.S.?
Any idea on the age or authenticity of this brass fork...
bradleyd_svh
Book with stamp.
Have some one seen this book stamp on a book ? and...
Dones
Help identifying Bowl
I have had this Bowl for some time, i can't seem to...
Dones
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™