Can a charcoal guy convert to gas?

fairegoldApril 24, 2003

I've been reading some of these threads with great interest. DH is an old-fashioned sorta guy, he likes his martinis made with gin and olives and his grilling over charcoal. We live in a mild climate where we can cook out almost all year round.

Now, here's the deal.... I'd love to try a gas grill, and think it would be much easier in the long run, than the Weber. But DH says no way! And I won't even let him LOOK at the prices for the nice grills that I've seen.

So the question is: is there an entry level grill for under, oh, say $300, that would serve as training wheels? Any recommendations?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Hang with the "gas grill guy"....and be thankful!
When....and if...you master charcoal cookery....there is nothing better.
Tell your chamrming husband to come to my house if he wants to use a vintage Weber....I'll keep his glass filled while he'a cooking and make the salad.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 24, 2003 at 9:24PM
fairegold

He IS good at it, I will say! Anyone want the recipe for the Jack Daniels marinade? But I was simply thinking that a gas grill would make it easy to put on a couple of chicken breats or two skewers of shrimp, things like that.

He's already vintage and has a Weber and will go where ever the food it!

Thanks for asking!

Bookmark   April 25, 2003 at 12:13AM
lakeguy35

There are lots of decent gas grills out there for under $300.00. If you have Lowes or Home Depot check out some of the ones they have. Gas is faster and easier but you will not get the same flavour as you do with charcoal.
I have both and a smoker too. Gas get used alot because I'm cooking for myself most of the time. But you can't beat the taste of cooking over charcoal. Might have a hard time talking him into it...LOL
Would love to have the marinade recipe.
Good luck!!

David

Bookmark   April 25, 2003 at 1:51PM
fairegold

I'll check out some of the cheaper models. I don't want him to give up on charcoal, just give us the flexibility of the gas. I'll post the marinade recipe in another thread!

Bookmark   April 25, 2003 at 2:35PM
pwbaker

Well, this is a emotional issue. I was weber kettle boy for many years (soaked wood ships, lit without lighter fluid, grilled when it was snowing), the whole deal. I went to gas 4 years ago. After the grill is "seasoned" the taste is pretty darn close.
I still fire up the kettle on occasion, but rarely.
You can get a decent Charbroil for under $200. Gice it some time to acumulate drippings and such. Only cleas the cooking grids and let the other "drippings" build up. Let me know how you do.

Bookmark   May 9, 2003 at 8:14AM
More Discussions
Grilled Pork Tenderloin
Found this recipe and it is a keeper! Easy marinade...
lkzz
Need suggestion for a gas cooktop to use outdoor
Can someone please suggest a gas cooktop/burner that...
Novie
how to remove paint stain from stainless steel bbq?
someone spilled what appears to be stain or paint on...
wantboost
Member's Mark Gas Grills Part 3 (Continued Discussion)
This discussion thread is about the Member's Mark stainless...
Ladd
Ignighter problem with Weber or Dukane Gas Grill
Ignitor Problem with Weber or Dukane Grill- I have...
etbrown4
Sponsored Products
Bassett Mirror Thoroughly Modern Plum Blossom Branch II
Beyond Stores
Photon Rug
Design Within Reach
Dot wool throw - charcoal
Origin Crafts
Charcoal Nixon Throw
$375.00 | Horchow
Tommy 3 Piece King Bedroom Set in Black
$779.00 | LexMod