Outdoor Grill Buying--Questions

Mara_CAApril 22, 2002

I'm on the hunt for a gas grill that is budget-friendly. If I had the means (and the house) I'd go all out for the built-in one with the bar and all that..however my funds are limited..but I need to get a grill and am tired of putting it off. I want a gas grill and have been looking at the $130 price range or so..for something basic that will last a few years. I live in a duplex anyway so I need something smaller, but don't necessarily want to sacrifice 'power' for space.

The ones I have been looking at are the Thermos 4000, the Aussie Bushman Deluxe, and the cheapie Thermos 2000 ($99!). There's also a Kenmore one that is similar to the Thermos 4000, etc.

I am leaning towards the Aussie for its asthetic looks, the fact that it is small and compact, and that it has a good warranty with a good price. It has 24,000 BTUS and a dual level cooking space with 412 sq. in. total space. The others I am considering all have at least 30-35,000 BTUs and 500-700 sq. in cooking space. However, my concern with the Aussie is that it will not generate enough heat to cook something like a thick steak without drying it out. BUT since the Aussie has a smaller body than most larger grills, then I wonder if the lower BTW is acceptable because a smaller space doesn't need as many BTU's to get it hot.

Anyhow my concerns are that I have read that you need at least 40,000 BTU's to cook thicker steaks well, and that you should spend as much as you can to get a good grill the first time. My questions for the forum are...what are the best gas grills for a budget, and what are the most important things to look for when considering something like this? I'm sure a budget-concious grill purchase has different requirements than a more expensive, longer-term one.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michael_H

I've been using the BroilMate for several years. They offer long warranties and well built grills.

You can visit them online, then find a local store.

I emailed you the online address.

Happy Grilling!

Michael

Bookmark   April 22, 2002 at 8:44PM
Whaler

I have had a couple Weber gas grills and allways had to resort to my antique Weber charcoal grill for good steaks. I now have an Aussie Bonza and haven't had to use the charcoal grill since I bought it.
I don't think you can get the heat out of an inexpensive gas grill to do good steaks.
Dick

Bookmark   April 22, 2002 at 10:12PM
bbarel

I've seen good feedback on Sunbeam for an inexpensive grill. Consumer reports rated a Sunbeam as a best buy.

Bookmark   May 8, 2002 at 12:15AM
More Discussions
Best Gas Grill
We are building a new home and looking to build an...
litlmikeyb
what equipment should be bring in Barbecue
I'm going to and my friends crazy once before back...
junho
Member's Mark Gas Grills Part 3 (Continued Discussion)
This discussion thread is about the Member's Mark stainless...
Ladd
Rebuild a Weber Silver-b grille?
I have a 8 year old Weber Silver-B grille. Is been...
shw104
Front Avenue grill at Costco
Do you know anything about this grill? Not sure what...
susanf242
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™