foraging for 'wild edibles'

alicemagooeyApril 21, 2004

i used to forage for wild foods.and prepare them over the campfire
I want to do more of it,beause a person can do quite well,apparently,with all the varieties of things readily available.in the wild.

I used to love reading Euell Gibbons books (he was a wild foods foraging expert) and trying to find things,and prepare them to make them palatable.
..We used to do VERY well picking wild asparagus and also using lots of nettles as a cooked green..(using the water makes a really fine hair conditioning rinse also,believe it or not.)(leaves your hair really soft and manageable!)(it is just the picking of the thing which is the problem.!!)size="1"

my questions

it would be nice to have someone who is knowledgeable on the topic of "picking and preparing 'wild foods'".mushrooms also would be good to know about..but we certainly would need a 'pro' in that line.

• has anyone in this forum any experience along these lines.?you would like to share.

• i have put a suggestion in to begin a new forum topic in gardenweb specifically for wild edibles,but it could and perhaps should be addressed in a group like this..here.

• .any input on that from any of you?
    I think this forum probably "picks up" a lot this time of year thru summer..i perhaps will refresh this post a few times..

hope for responses..of some sort..whether

• personal experiences
  • references
  • ideas
  • other

alice

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sylvia

For mushrooms I would see if you could enlist an instructor in field Botany course from your local college. No better way to learn the ins and outs than from someone who really knows. Learn how to do spore prints and get some really great books, and then go with a guide and stick with the "easy" varieties.

A lot of wild edibles are catalogued in readily available field guides for the local area.

To me I think the most productive forums for useful responses would be the local gardening ones. For me I would go to gardenweb.com/forums/txgard because I live in Texas. But that's where you're going to find the locally knowledgeable folks.

My favorite wild harvests in central Texas are: wild onions (great with peas!), dewberries, and mustang grapes. Not very exotic but they make great jellies. The grapes will be ready in 2-3 more weeks.

Bookmark   June 22, 2004 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
Do you need to secure a grill on the patio?
I live in a state that gets tornado warnings on occasion...
ncdel
lynx or dcs best prices?
I had posted this in the appliance section but this...
nolacls
Best Gas Grill
We are building a new home and looking to build an...
litlmikeyb
Side burner recommendation
I am looking for a side burner to put in our outdoor...
bluehaven_gweb
what equipment should be bring in Barbecue
I'm going to and my friends crazy once before back...
junho
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™