Basement Dehumidifier Noise

luckyparkerDecember 17, 2007

I had a SaniDry dehumidifier installed in my basement a few months ago, and it works great, but it's quite noisy. We tried using the muffler kit they offer to no avail, and there's nowhere in the basement that the noise won't carry upstairs.

Does anyone have any advice on what I might try?

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

I have two in the basement, each controlled by a separate wall-mounted humidistat that I installed. Humidity control is rather precise. One advantage of that control is that the unit runs only when actually needed- no run=no noise. Since the unit drains into a floor drain system, I set it on a foam rubber pad to lessen the noise. It helped a little.

Bookmark   December 18, 2007 at 7:31AM
mikie_gw

I built an acoustical ceiling tile box that goes around a dehumidifier... lessens noise quite a bit. Thought about making it its own little drywall box with a nice filter someday.

Bookmark   December 22, 2007 at 9:40AM
bus_driver

Enclosing the dehumidifier would no doubt lessen the noise. But the enclosure would have to be very carefully designed and fabricated so as not to interfere with free air movement to-and-away-from the unit. If the enclosure permitted the air to move around within the enclosure and just recirculate directly through the unit, it could defeat the whole purpose of the dehumidifier.

Bookmark   December 26, 2007 at 8:48AM
More Discussions
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™