Egress Window too high

lshs91December 3, 2012

We are thinking of selling our 1970's slit level house and would like to turn the basement into a bedroom before placing on the market. The window that is in place is the correct size (21"w x 32"h), but the sill is 48" above the floor...ground level outside. The concrete ends just 44" above the floor. Would it be worth it to rip out the existing window and try to lower it to the concrete? with the casing, it may end up being 45"..... which would mean having to cut into the concrete.

Or, would you leave it, add the closet, and call it a non-conforming third bedroom? Thanks for your opinions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

If you add the closet, it is a bedroom and violates Code. So either leave it alone and let the buyer do what they will. Or spend a grand or less and do it properly.

"Non-conforming" (or legal non-conforming) is routinely used with regard to zoning to describe land uses that are grandfathered in. In other words, uses that existed before a particular zoning law was instituted and can continue. Applying that term to building changes (adding a closet) that you have done subsequent to a change in building codes is another matter.

You might want to consult your lawyer for the possible ramifications of using those weasel words in your sales pitch.

This post was edited by worthy on Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 10:37

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 10:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lshs91

Thank you. I think we are leaning towards doing it right.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 2:26AM
More Discussions
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™