Grilling Meat - Hood Open or Closed?

pastryqueenApril 8, 2008

That's the question in a nutshell...I have never gotten an answer whether the hood on my BBQ should be open or closed when grilling meats or anything else in fact. Years ago before grills were $$$$$ and I cooked on a hibatchi there was no question and food came out fine. Now I'm sure what I'm doing, only that I do BBQ year round in the NE. Can someone shed a light for me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eal51

pastryqueen - I'll try to help you out.

I cook with the hood closed, regardless of the type of meat. Hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks, ribs chicken - it makes no difference.

My grill has a temp gauge that I use as a reference point. 250 to 300 degrees for cooking, burners are never on high but on medium at best.

Meat must be completely thawed, not even partially frozen. Steaks, 3 minutes per side for rare, 4 minutes per side for medium rare (red but dead). Hamburgers - 2 minutes per side. Understand we like our meat a little red on the inside. Neither the wife or I like well done!

Pork and chicken must be completely cooked. I usually do these in an aluminum pan for at least 45 minutes. The obvious test is the meat comes off the bones with ease.

My grill also has a infared burner so I can do steaks for 2 minutes on a side and have them come out perfect.

Enjoy the journey.

eal51 in western CT

Bookmark   April 13, 2008 at 8:54PM
pastryqueen

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, really appreciate it.

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 6:00AM
donmei

ha. I often grill with the top open
it depends on how well cooked I want the inside of the meat to be in relation to the outside.

steak, which I eat rare, is done top open so the outside cooks and the inside doesnt.

Chicken or vegies that need a higher internal temp get cooked closed.

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
Rebuild a Weber Silver-b grille?
I have a 8 year old Weber Silver-B grille. Is been...
shw104
Ironworks gas grill
Greetings, Does anyone have any experience or knowledge...
sundance1
Charcoal grills and/or Volcanic rock grills coming back
Someone was telling me that lots of people are turning...
summerstar
how to remove paint stain from stainless steel bbq?
someone spilled what appears to be stain or paint on...
wantboost
Grilled Pork Tenderloin
Found this recipe and it is a keeper! Easy marinade...
LKZZ
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™