Big Green Egg

JarvisMarch 31, 2002

I got an early B-day present the big green egg smoker. Does anyone have one?? If so let me know how you like it, or if you have any tips on use for me. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jvpkvp

We've had one for 3 years now. Great!!. Like Prime rib the best. We've followed recipes for the dry rub for ribs. You can slow it down to slow cook and smoke. Can't say enough. The only draw back is that even the large egg does not hold more than one chicken. Small compromise. Go to their web site and there are lots of hints and great recipes.

Bookmark   April 2, 2002 at 9:20PM
bing

The only problem I had was that you had to buy "special "charcoal

Bookmark   May 31, 2002 at 5:33PM
fparry

I have owned a medium sized Big Green Egg for about a year now. I love it and the way it cooks. You can adjust the top and flu to hold a specific temp. and it will hold it for hours. I have done brisket and held the temp to within 10 degrees of 220 for 5 hours. I had a problem with the ceramic finish on mine but the company was great and replaced it through the dealer with no charge to me. By the way, you do not have to use "special charcoal" Any charcoal will work but lump (which is natural and not processed into brickets) work the best. This is due to the fact that lump charcoal produces less ash and requires less cleaning. I have also been told that processed brickets have a chemical binder in them that leaves an aftertaste on the food. I don't know it that is true but it might also be a reason the Egg people don't like to use them.

Bookmark   June 3, 2002 at 9:18PM
BBQ_Mike

I have been using lump charcoal for well over a year now, and would never use anything else again. A few weeks ago, my stepson gave me a bag of Kingsford charcoal briquets. The other day, I decided to use some to help start a fire in my wood burning smoker. I about choked from the terrible smell that came from them burning. It's sort of like drinking nasty tasting tap water after being use to pure drinking water.

The web has several sites that discuss lump charcoal. Here is one that may be of interest to some.

Here is a link that might be useful: lump vs briquetts

Bookmark   June 5, 2002 at 6:24AM
More Discussions
Front Avenue grill at Costco
Do you know anything about this grill? Not sure what...
susanf242
how to remove paint stain from stainless steel bbq?
someone spilled what appears to be stain or paint on...
wantboost
Grilled Pork Tenderloin
Found this recipe and it is a keeper! Easy marinade...
lkzz
Ignighter problem with Weber or Dukane Gas Grill
Ignitor Problem with Weber or Dukane Grill- I have...
etbrown4
Any info on the 'Perfect Flame' grill from Lowes?
I was looking at the grills at Lowes today and they...
joecrabb
Sponsored Products
Inkwell Taper Holder in Green
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
Olive Green Narrow Zig Zag Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Van Teal Rock of Ages Stacked Acrylic Stone Table Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
Set of 2 Lemon Green Porcelain Candlestick Table Lamps
Lamps Plus
Radiance? White Flame Pendant with Seafoam Green Glass
$229.50 | Bellacor