Value of old photos

joyce_6333May 27, 2008

My husband and I live in an old bungalow that was his grandfather's home. When we moved in, there were several boxes of old photos -- most of them are not people we recognize. Some are very old, tin photos of civil war soliers, babies, etc. We even have a few old photos albums with these tin photos mounted in them. Earlier ones (mid to late 1800s) are in perfect condition, and really rather beautiful. I'm thinking perhaps I may sell some of them, but have no idea what they may be worth. Our kids are not interested at all. Is there a market for old pictures of unknown people?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

There sure is....check "tintype" in ebay....and even Daguerrotype.
Keep in mind that everything listed as "tintype photo" isn't a tintype.
Linda C

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 11:01PM
floyd_devoid

Most old photos are worth very little. However, civil war related photos are very collectable. Esp. cart de visit (probably misspelled) I once sold an album of them for $1000.00 I've also sold old photos of downtown areas of large cities for some good money. For example a large cabinet photo of downtown Bath Maine circa 1880. I once had some stereo view cards of Deadwood S.D. from around the time of Wild Bill Hickock. I sold some of those for $200.00 each. Photos of unknown, regular folk don't bring a whole lot.

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 11:17PM
pump_toad

There is a market for the old photo's that picture children with toys, dolls, pets.
Town photos of main streets,railroad depots are also collectible.

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 11:43PM
More Discussions
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
Vase no marks new or old ?
I have this vase with no mark at bottom, it's real...
Dones
Can anyone identify this nightstand?
This nightstand was my grandmas and was given to me...
Michael Potter
Need help identifying this lamp.
Please see the picture below. The lamp was originally...
Chuck Wert
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™