Dry aging steak at home.. made easy

hotgrilljoeMarch 13, 2009

I had always wanted to dry age my own steaks at home. But everywhere I looked there were instructions that were really messy and involved having meat sitting in your fridge open for a long time. This would create odors in the fridge and the meat both. Recently I found an easy way to do it. Using a special moisture permeable bag, I dry aged a boneless ribeye to perfection. I put the meat into the bag and vacuum sealed it ( I bought a vacuum sealer). The bag allows moisture to permeate, but still keeps a vacuum (pretty amazing). I aged it on a wire rack (you have to allow the air to surround the meat) in my fridge for 2 weeks. Took the meat out of the bag and trimmed off the hard crust that forms from it drying.

The steaks were perfect and had a distinct dry aged flavor and butterknife texture.

This kind of aging used to be only the domain of fine steak houses or specialty meat processors, but now I can do it at home.

Check out www.drybagsteak.com

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
casey_wa

I like to dry age my steaks for a couple or three days before putting them on the bbq, I feel they come out better. I just leave them uncovered in the fridge on a cookie grate over drip pan or plate. Never had a problems with smells.

Casey
"Sean McDonagh Racing"

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 7:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sominjoe55

To get the real dry aged flavor and texture one needs to age for 14-21 days in my humble opinion. Thats what the great steak places age like Smith and Wolensky or Capitol Grill (I love their steaks). Three or four days may help. I have never tried to do individual steaks that way. Usually I take a full ribeye or striploin for NY strip and age for 21 days, since you have to trim off the dry crust and fat cap.

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
What are your most useful appliances in outdoor kitchen
We are in the design stages for our outdoor grilling...
squwhat
Lion Grill
I'm thinking about getting a Lion grill for a new outdoor...
winnetka75
Cooking ribs on a gas grill ??
I posted this on the cooking forum, then realized there's...
cookingrvc
Member's Mark Gas Grills Part 3 (Continued Discussion)
This discussion thread is about the Member's Mark stainless...
Ladd
Front Avenue grill at Costco
Do you know anything about this grill? Not sure what...
susanf242
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™