Basement framing over radiant heat tubing

house_elfDecember 31, 2009

To all that contribute priceless information on this site...I frequently visit this forum and appreciate all the good advice that I have gained through your experience and knowledge. I have a dilemma that I hope can be answered. I am about to start framing my basement. I know I am supposed to use pressure treated wood anywhere the base plates are installed, where wood touches the concrete. My problem is that I have radiant tubing imbedded in the concrete floor and I have no way to determine where the tubes are, and I don't want to take a chance that I will pierce the tubes. How can I attach the base plates to the concrete floor without nails or screws? Is there a special industrial strength adhesive that I can use?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

A low-VOC heavy duty construction adhesive should do the job. PL is one widely used brand. Jam the framing as tightly as possible on top of a moisture barrier and let set to recommended curing time before installing finish surface.

I've used powder-actuated fasteners set to just 1/2" maximum penetration where I had the radiant installed and was sure it was near the bottom of the concrete. You could also anchor end pieces to the walls; if the walls are hollow block, anchor to the webs only.

Bookmark   December 31, 2009 at 10:01AM
More Discussions
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™