Need help! How to insulate when stud walls are already up

kaidanNovember 2, 2010

So I have been completely busy with work and left the basement planning up to my husband, who does not know that much about basement finishing. Now, not busy, I realize we have made a mistake. The studs are already up throughout the basement and this morning the electrician came to wire. We have not put foam insulation in yet :(

Obviously, we should have done that before the studs went up. What should we do now?? We can still buy the foam boards and cut them to fit behind the studs and then tape them to say 14" pieces between each stud? Or should we find another method of insulating (besides taking down the stud walls and starting over).

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

We can still buy the foam boards and cut them to fit behind the studs and then tape them

Sounds OK.

In many cases, though, you can cut the screws on the base and top plates with a reciprocating saw and remove the stud wall in toto and replace the same way. Or you can use ccspf if it's in your budget.

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 10:11AM
rexg

You should consider having spray foam insulation done. It is a little more costly but you get a much better job and it fills in all the voids. It's normally done after all the electricial wiring work is completed.

I've done what you talked about, cutting 2" foam board and inserting between the studs but it is very time comsuming and it will never work as well as the sprayed in foam.

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 12:34PM
susanjf_gw

i have to agree with rexg...it's ok your studs are up...don't know if they're still showing it, but on diynetwork.com, they show exactly what it looks likes to have the foam installed...one of the hosts had it done on her basement make-over.

what you might want to do before installing insulation, is use a moisture barier paint on the concrete, then the insulation..that's what my ds1 did (we're in se mi) and their home is about 60 yo...

Bookmark   November 4, 2010 at 2:50PM
ralleia

I third the motion for spray foam insulation. The closed cell (at R 6.8 per inch) is my preference--it will also seal out air infiltration (rigid insulation won't) and provide rigidity.

Bookmark   November 4, 2010 at 6:21PM
kaidan

Thank you for the responses! So... we already have the 2" foam board insulation. I was talking our situation over with a neighbor and he said it's possible to cut the 2" boards in half (which are 2 ft each) and adhere to our basement walls. Then in the spaces between the foam and the studs (about an inch on each side) we could use spray foam insulation.

Is this crazy talk or completely do-able? DH is stubborn ;) and does not want to return the foam boards. He says it will all be fine.

Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 9:38PM
worthy

You are trying to fill in the simplest way possible the space between the back of the studs and the foundation wall.

If that space is a half inch or less, you can use a handheld polyurethane spray such as Great Stuff. At anything greater, it's usually easier to cut strips of XPS foam board and slip it in as you thought about doing in your original post.

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
making the crawl space more useful?
My house has a (vented) crawl space between 2 and 3'...
gigelus2k13
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
ideas for basement?
Hoping some of you more creative people can help me...
Michael Oslosky
Sponsored Products
64" Treated Pine Fanback Porch Swing
Fifthroom.com
Pure Rugs | Camel Natural Cowhide
YLiving.com
Sonneman | Parallel 27 Inch LED Bath Bar
$590.00 | YLighting
Magnum Cutlery - Stelton
$145.00 | HORNE
Regent Polished Nickel 2-Light 12 1/4" High Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Lithonia Lighting Augustine 2-Light 50 in. Mocha Decorative Lighting Fixture 115
Home Depot
Cove Neck Wall Sconce by Hudson Valley Lighting
$172.00 | Lumens
Traditional Triple Concealed Thermostatic Shower Valve 2 Outlets
Hudson Reed
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™