LOOKING for: The Perfect Hamburger

cookingrvcFebruary 9, 2002

Thought I would bring your attention to a thread on the 'cooking' forum to share with us your 'secrets' to making the perfect hamburger.

Darkmenace started a thread 'Perfect Hamburger, have you found it'.

Please join us there and share your tips with us.

Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jasavak

I use onion powder, salt and pepper. I cook with high heat over an open flame.
Always use the 30% fat. The lean meat seems too dry.

Bookmark   February 23, 2002 at 3:43AM
bulldinkie

When i make mine I pour Kikomens sauce over top mmm Its in chinese section at the grocery store.Good on steaks too.

Bookmark   February 28, 2002 at 2:16PM
NancyL

I make my patties out of med. ground hamburg and freeze them. When I am ready to BBq I thaw them and sprinkle on a good amount of McCormick's Montreal Steak Spice and some garlic powder. Near the end of the cooking time sometimes (not always,) I will baste with some Dianna, spicy BBq sauce.

Bookmark   March 20, 2002 at 8:05PM
BBQ_Mike

In the nearby city where I live is a tiny hamburger joint that hangs a sign that says "We didn't invent the hamburger, we just perfected it". The joint's founder says "a lot of people are going to disagree with me, but you need a thin patty and a hot grill to bring out the maximum flavor."

I've applied that concept to my patties. I like the 70/30 beef to fat combination. I will take a third lb of beef, and some finely chopped fresh onion, and using a meat mallet, will pound the chopped onion into the beef, and flatten the patties until they are about 1 1/2 times the size of the bun. I will only season them with salt and a little pepper.

Over a hot outdoor grill (I prefer a charcoal grill with natural lump charcoal with hickory wood chunks added), I will build my fire to about 600*.

The patties are thrown on right over the hot coals. Being thin, it will only take about 90 seconds for the juices to be oozing out the top of the patties. I flip them once, leaving them about a minute on the other side. I leave the lid up on my grill so the coals will mix with the fresh outside air. Of course, the flaming fire will "kiss" the meat, charring it just slightly on the surface. It should shrink down to the size of the bun, overhanging the edges just slightly.

I like serving the patty right on the bun, while the burger is still sizzling. The top half of the bun should be about 1/2 off the patty so it can be easily removed to add the other desired condiments.

These burgers are a huge hit everytime I serve them up. A thin patty and a hot fire--a must combination for the most flavor.

Bookmark   May 29, 2002 at 1:25AM
bsbbq

1 lb. 28% fat hamburger
1/2 packet Lipton onion soup mix
That's all!
Make as many or as few patties as you want from this.
Immediately after putting on grill, flood with beer and sprinkle with garlic salt. Turn once and repeat beer and garlic salt. The alcohol keeps the meat tender, works excellent on steaks as well. Wonderful flavor. Enjoy.

bsbbq

Bookmark   May 29, 2002 at 11:55AM
honnnybabbbby

My perfect hamburger
By Davie wormy

Here it is ehhh?!?!:
1 BIG FAT MEAT
1 HUUUUGE BUN!!
KIPS MAYO PLUS CHEEZE (CHEDDA)
TOMATO, LETTUCE, ONION
GRANDPAS GREAT HORNY ATTITUDE
A GIANT FARRRRT

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 3:46AM
curlylocks

My favourite's the onion soup mix but my friend made them up for us with her mother's recipe and all she uses is milk and salt. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!They were terrific and she got if off the Food Network.

Bookmark   August 15, 2006 at 9:49AM
sharon_fl

Having flipped scores of these juicy burgers over the past 30 years, this is my technique.
After placing the meat in a bowl, I add just a few shakes of garlic powder, MINCED onion, salt, pepper & some worchestershire sauce.I make about a 5oz patty, first rolling into a FIRM meatball then flattening it to a 1/2" thickness. Over hot coals, I grill it until half cooked, then flip ONCE and continue cooking for just another 2 minutes-being careful NEVER pressing down on the patty with a spatula-as it will seep all of those great juices from the burger.
MY favorite burger is to make 2 thinner pattys & place 1 heaping TBS of crumbled bleu cheese on one patty, then top with the other patty & press the edges together. Delish!!

Bookmark   September 2, 2006 at 8:08AM
smking1_gardener

OK, maybe it is a bit more than 10% fat, it's hard to tell as you cut the chuck steak up for grinding. I have also used sirlion steak and love that too.

If you use good ingredients then it usually tastes good!

S King

Bookmark   September 24, 2006 at 7:16PM
bonelady

I add a bit of A-1 sauce to the meat mixture (25-30% fat)salt and pepper and some Montreal Steak Seasoning and grill over a hot fire. I form them just thick enough so the middle stays a nice meedium rare and the burger is juicy.

Nothing worse for me than a dry burger.

I also like a toasted bun.

Bookmark   October 4, 2006 at 10:01AM
jim_1

I use ground chuck Imix in montreal steak season, Eggs,worstershie,italian bread crumbs and allspice and cook over low heat slow until it is alittle rare when you take it off it will finish cooking.

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 10:58PM
anya_101

diced onion
diced mushrooms
clove crushed garlic
chilli powder
Mix with burger, pat out & grill over charcoal with wet hickory bark.

Everyones favorite here at my house!

Bookmark   October 24, 2006 at 11:39PM
als_garden

I make my burgers with 80/20 hamburger and i mix in seasoned crutons and diced onions and green peppers and add a few drops of worchestire and a sprinkle of liquid smoke...grill em med rare and put em on a toasted kaiser bun for the utmost dining experience. there always a hit with the adults and grandkids as well

Bookmark   February 10, 2007 at 1:19AM
bbq_raleigh

I use

ground beef
Worcestershire sauce
garlic powder
soul seasoning

I coined these burger Raleigh Burgers in my area, they are the best I've ever had and I have never heard any complaints about them...they are so good you don't even need and catchup, mustard, or mayo

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
Bakers and Chefs gas grills ????
Anybody know about these grills that Sam's Clubs sell...
jimt
Front Avenue grill at Costco
Do you know anything about this grill? Not sure what...
susanf242
Member's Mark Gas Grills Part 3 (Continued Discussion)
This discussion thread is about the Member's Mark stainless...
Ladd
Holland Grill Use - Am I wrong???
Hello Holland Grill users... we bought a Classic several...
Radman
What are your most useful appliances in outdoor kitchen
We are in the design stages for our outdoor grilling...
squwhat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™