flooring for the entrance

agguNovember 30, 2007

We have a walkout basement. Looking for suggestions for what type of flooring to do in the entrance area. Rest of the basement, we are leaning towards dricore+carpet. Is tiles a good idea for the entrance? Our concerns are a) just in case water seeps in from the entrance in case of very heavy down pour and b) cleanliness

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kcsi-tom

WE generally install tile at all basement entrances. As for the exterior door a goo elastomeric sealant is Geocel 2300 clear. apply a thick bead at threshold outside door.

Bookmark   December 1, 2007 at 5:18PM
aggu

Thanks. Since for rest of the basement we are thinking dricore+carpet, can the entrance tiles be installed on the dricore? Otherwise how would we level them with rest of the floor?

Bookmark   December 1, 2007 at 6:35PM
kcsi-tom

the tile needas to be on a concrete base on concrete backer board. It would be possible to have a thick bed of mortar with 1/2" backer board then a thick mortar bed again with tile on top. This is a little un-orthodox. Why are you using the dri-core under the carpet???
Tom

Bookmark   December 2, 2007 at 6:19PM
ravlegend

I just completed my basement with dricore installation thru-out and had put in 12X12 natural stone tiles (travertine) at the entranceway-carpet elsewhere.

I took an unorthodox approach in ramsetting the dricore panels securely to the floor first and then used Flexbond (a fortified thin-set mortar) to bond the tile onto the dricore panel. I was liberal in applying the mortar onto the dricore panel to offset any slight differences in height from 1 panel to the next.

What sold me on Flexbond was the statement "Isolates cracks up to 1/16" and withstands minor substrate deflection" on the package, and also spending additional $$ on backer cement boards.

So far I'm please with the result but YMMV.

It may also helps that I was going for an antiquity look so my tumbled tiles do not hv any grout joint.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flexbond info

Bookmark   December 3, 2007 at 11:40AM
More Discussions
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™