Ceramic vs Gas - is it practical?

Lucky_RuggerFebruary 26, 2014

I will be installing a new grill this summer in an outdoor kitchen. I only have room for one grill, and if it was only me, I would opt for a primo oval xl today. That said, I have a 1.5 yr old, a 4 yr old, and may have another little one some day. All parents know that life is always busy with little ones. Really, how practical is a kamado grill compared to gas? Will I regret not being able to simply "turn the knob"?

I'm not really looking for why a ceramic is better, I fully concede on that point. Anyone out there with small kids and all adults with full time+ jobs that only use a ceramic? Do you regret the switch?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Freedbaby

We are building an outdoor kitchen and putting in a ceramic Kamado Joe...we have kids ages 7, 3, and 2 and both work outside the home. With today's easy starting methods, I'm not sure the time to let a gasser heat is any different than letting a kamado light.

I've yet to hear of someone who "regretted" ...for ANY reason, going with a Kamado.

Real world feedback...sorry, I got none.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 8:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nolacls

I have a 7yo and me and the wife both work full time. I was a gas grill guy my whole life. Im about to build an ODK and got a primo to try out because i heard so much about them. I absolutely love it and so does the wife. With that said it takes a little more effort to get it going but what I do is make sure the grill is prepped before hand....clean and loaded. Then when I am going to grill I usually light the pit then prep the food...but the time the food is ready the grill is too. I do a lot of indirect heat then sear so I dont get the temps too high at first but it can if I need it too. I love the primo so much im going to have 2 in my odk vs a primo and a gasser. Now I will have more room for bigger bbqs...can have different temps for different style cooking...or indirect smoke on one full primo then sear on the other.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Charcoal grills and/or Volcanic rock grills coming back
Someone was telling me that lots of people are turning...
summerstar
Lion Grill
I'm thinking about getting a Lion grill for a new outdoor...
winnetka75
Smokers
I'm thinking about getting my husband a smoker, and...
pondpal
What are your most useful appliances in outdoor kitchen
We are in the design stages for our outdoor grilling...
squwhat
Smokin-it Smokers
Smokin-it now has a 4 smoker line up. Judging from...
dcrb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™