Interior door

bsteeves86November 28, 2010

I have a door in my basement that leads under my front stairs which houses my oil tank and water softener. The door is your standard interior door which does very little to keep out cold air and creepy crawlies from coming into the basement. In an ideal world I would have the door replaced with a heavy duty door but the door jam is an akward size and not very level. Not to mention I just finished painting the entire basement including all the trim. Does anyone have any good tips for how to properly seal this door while still allowing me to use the door.

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

I'm imagining that you have about a 1" space at the bottom. I believe I would purchase a threshold and install it on the floor - probably will need to saw the stop on the side of the jamb to the correct height in order to slide one below the door. This will probably close 3/4" of the space. Then purchase one of those flexible sweeps and attach to the inside bottom of the door such that it will close the remaining space. This won't make it weather tight or confine the critters but will eliminate most the the cold air.

Bookmark   November 29, 2010 at 7:16AM
worthy

You can also glue on two-three inches of EPS or XPS foam board to the service room side of the door.

Bookmark   November 29, 2010 at 11:25AM
andrelaplume2

just be sure your oil burner is not sealed up in there...they need to breath....

Bookmark   November 29, 2010 at 1:07PM
bsteeves86

The oil tank is behind that door, however my oil burner is at the opposite side of the basement. I have a system called system 2000. Does that make sense I'm not to familiar with the system?

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 9:12PM
More Discussions
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™