French drain and 'dimple drain?'

siobhanny5November 10, 2006

We're finally getting a much-needed French drain put in on all four sides of our basement, along with a sump pump. (Our plan is to eventually refinish the basement; right now we just have to solve our water issues.)

However, one contractor offered to also put in something called a "dimple drain" in addition to the French drain, for about the same price. The other two waterproofing pros had never heard of a dimple drain.

I believe the idea is the dimple drain would catch any moisture from the walls and deposit it down to the French drain. Correct? Anyone familiar with this set-up and care to comment? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aussiepete

"I believe the idea is the dimple drain would catch any moisture from the walls and deposit it down to the French drain. Correct?"

Never heard of a dimple drain before, but I think your deduction is correct.

Most basement membranes are dimpled. This allows any moisture that does happen to get behind the membrane, or permiate through from the inside (vapour) can trickle down the wall and be drained away.

This feature is standard and you will find any good contractor will use a dimpled membrane, just not call it a "dimple drain"

photo of our recent membrane installation, complete with "dimple drain?"

Bookmark   November 14, 2006 at 8:47PM
More Discussions
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
lookintomyeyes83
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™