New basement insulation advice

jarvinenNovember 23, 2010

I'm currently in the planning stages of starting to work on my unfinished basement. We live in a cold climate (Michigan's Upper Peninsula) and my first step is to insulate and frame.

Our home was built in 2006 and has 9' poured walls in the basement. We live on top of a bluff and have a lot of sand below us so we have excellent drainage and a dry basement.

My plan was to paint the walls (and floors?) with Dry-Lok, put 2" foam board up next, then frame the walls and roll insulation between the studs. Is the Dry-Lok overkill since I'll be putting up foam? Any other advice for beginning this project?

I was also planning on putting in a subfloor of 2x4 sleepers with foam insulation between and a plywood surface.

Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Overkill on the foundation coating.

For the floor, forget the 2x4 sleepers. ( I didn't realize anybody still used that method.) Install ply over the foam. Or use another floating floor system.

Pay attention to the areas above the foundation. Use caulking and/or polyurethane foam at the sill, then tightly-fitted XPS between the joists. Or just have the whole area sprayed with closed-cell polyurethane foam.

You might want to use lightweight metal framing instead of wood. Much less mess and no screw pops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement Insulation Systems

Bookmark   November 23, 2010 at 11:11PM
jarvinen

Any downside to using the foundation coating other than the extra cost and labor?

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 9:10AM
worthy

That is the downside. Plus, if serious leakage problems develop, the way to reduce them is from the exterior.

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™