Fire pit vs barbecue

tropical_thoughtJanuary 31, 2010

The difference between a fire pit and a barbecue is the lid or cover. I saw a nice fire pit at osh, expect it has cut out moons and stars. That's cute, but would that be good? Does that let the fire breathe?

I know nothing about barbecues. I got a tiny Weber once for like 20 dollars, it took like 6 hours to cook a chicken. It was a total waste of money. So, I want to go for a bigger model, but do you really need a lid if you are not smoking the meat? Could you just throw a lid on to a fire pit provided you found a lid and it fit?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deb_pa

I like a firepit, tried grills, charcoal and gas and didn't care for either. I use a tripod or an oven rack, have a ton of cast iron cookware, also mountain pie irons and of course hot dog forks. It might take a little more time, you have to start the fire earlier to let it burn down to nice red coals but it's easy to slide food to sides for less heat and the center for more heat. Never used a lid. When I cook a whole duck or chicken I butterfly the bird then it cooks faster than whole.

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 7:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropical_thought

I ended up with a portable grill so I could move it more easily for basement storage.

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
Bakers and Chefs gas grills ????
Anybody know about these grills that Sam's Clubs sell...
jimt
How long one can use Grill (Life time)
Hi, My previous owner left us Grand Turbo grill by...
ritholtz
Best Gas Grill
We are building a new home and looking to build an...
litlmikeyb
Rebuild a Weber Silver-b grille?
I have a 8 year old Weber Silver-B grille. Is been...
shw104
Member's Mark Gas Grills Part 3 (Continued Discussion)
This discussion thread is about the Member's Mark stainless...
Ladd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™