Epoxy vs Porch Paint for concrete floor in 101 yo basement

kawamidaNovember 19, 2012

Need EASY DIY solution for concrete basement floor. If you've used any of the following I'd love to hear how it went for you:

Looking at either:

1) Latex porch/floor paint - prime and paint, like walls

2) 1 or 2 stage Epoxy - maybe a garage floor kit? Have heard these are either fantastic or total garbage. Paint store people tell me it's overkill but I think it looks pretty good. Behr makes a 1 stage epoxy (Home Depot). Lots of 2 stage garage floor kits, I'm thinking H&C (Sherwin Williams) because they have an ivory color that I like. Also thinking the confetti bits are good as they will help disguise minor imperfections. Cheesy but useful. Have heard this is a bad idea if I don't etch the floor 1st... Any experience here??

Any and all info/tips/recos gratefully accepted!! THANK YOU!

Reno nearly complete (drywall, paint) on our old basement except for floor. We have ruled out other floor coverings (tile, vinyl plank) and are planning to paint concrete and cover with area rugs. Will be in a small rec room/guest room, hallway and laundry/workshop. Not really high traffic.

Paint will be DIY project.

- There is existing mystery paint on concrete that is peeling.

- Planning on scraping as well as possible. Will rent sander if needed.

- Trying to avoid acid etching if possible. Sounds dangerous.

- Will patch and cure for 3 weeks as recommended.

- Will vacuum and clean as much as possible.

- Floor is in ok shape, but it is old. Ceilings low, budget tight, going to work with what we have.

- No moisture issues, but it is and old basement and we are near Lake Ontario. Not expecting perfection, just don't want to have to re-do in a year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heartspeace

Hi,

I really need your help.

I'm doing some painting in my backroom, in my basement, on the floor.

In looking up prices on painting the backroom floor, in the basement. It's about $0.50 to $1 per sqft from what I can see.

It's about 100sqft with some odd shapes and the area equipment removed from the sum (eg water heater, sump pump, hvac).

My nephew had to learn how to do this for this job, which meant I had to learn too, step by step talking to each manufacturer, store personnel etc as he was with me listening as I asked the questions, we both listened.

So essentially I had to instruct him even after this pretty much exactly what to do and over see much of this. He is in late 20's.

So far we are 1/2 through it. He has etched it, and the next step is painting it. The first part took 5 hours buying and 4.5 hours to etch using acid to make the concrete porous.

The next step is two costs of paint. on the floor, It's already bought. My nephew will have to do the trim and then roll the paint, and then do another coat.

He has experience in painting so that part should not take that much time, maybe 3 hours then some dry time and then the last coat and then clean up.

So I look at this as a learning experience but I want to be fair paying. Any guidance?

hp

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 10:35PM
More Discussions
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
lookintomyeyes83
ideas for basement?
Hoping some of you more creative people can help me...
Michael Oslosky
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
Sponsored Products
Vinyl Samples: TrafficMASTER Allure Flooring Corfu Resilient Vinyl Tile
$8.85 | Home Depot
StarPro Greens Practice & Training 9 ft. x15 ft. Indoor/Outdoor Synthetic Turf
Home Depot
Possini Euro 17 3/4" Wide Satin Nickel Ceiling Light Fixture
Euro Style Lighting
Engineered Hardwood: Bruce Flooring Montrose Amberwood 1/2 in. Thick x 5 in.
$8.17 | Home Depot
GE 18 in. Fluorescent Premium Linkable White Undercabinet Light 10112
$34.97 | Home Depot
56 Inch Dual Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Westek Under Cabinet Lighting 120-Volt Xenon Nickel Accent Light Kit (3 Pack)
$20.81 | Home Depot
EZ Shelf Closet Organization 29 in. - 48 in. Small Shelf in Silver with 2 End
$69.99 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™