cobalt blue mirrors

danaohMay 9, 2007

My home was built in 1927 - my fireplace is completely covered with cobalt blue beveled mirrors - the space above the mantle to the ceiling is one piece, as are the sides, etc.

The story is that in the 30's the owner ordered them from somewhere overseas and spent $2500 on the mirrors.

First, is this story plausible and should we up our home insurance to cover it?

Second - anyone have any history or ideas about it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clairebuoyant1

They sound drop dead gorgeous. I know nothing about them, but would LOVE to see a picture! Cobalt blue is my favorite color.
Claire

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 10:00AM
danaoh

It is hard to take a picture because it is a mirror. Yes, they are beautiful. When I first saw the house I thought they would be the first things outta here, but then I heard the story and began to appreciate thier beauty. Makes decorating a little tough, that is all you see in the living room. Can't seem to find any information on the internet.

Bookmark   August 15, 2008 at 3:34PM
lindac

I know someone who bought a house of the same era, very Arts and Crafts, and the area over the fireplace was covered in a sort of rosy gold tone mirror.
And I remember a restraunt from my child hood that had lots of cobalt blue mirror on the outside.
Stand to the side and try to take a picture without flash....brighten it in your photo processing program if necessary.
As for upping your insurance? Don't know....would they be covered if someone threw a glass at one?
I'm sure it's beautiful!
Linda c

Bookmark   August 15, 2008 at 3:57PM
miles661

Cobalt glass (also refered to as Galena glass) of all sorts experienced a huge surge in popularity throughout the deco/revival periods. "Cobalt" continually goes in and out of favor (currently out of favor). The use of the lead sulfides in galena fell out of favor and has been replaced by plastic coatings or "flashings" of a similar color though not nearly as rich and deep in my opinion.
I, too would love to see pictures of the FP surround to get a better idea as to the size/scale of product used.
I cannot comment on insurance as I don't own a house to concern myself with such details.

Bookmark   August 18, 2008 at 7:10PM
calliope

Why don't you call your agent and ask them if you even need to 'up' your insurance. It may already be covered. I'd love to see it too. I live in art pottery country. Many of our old fireplaces in town are covered in their tiles. They're not on the same plane as that glass, but still the tiles in themselves are valuable.

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 1:38AM
More Discussions
Help identifying a vase?
Does anyone know anything about this vase.It has no...
Melissa Mcintosh
Age of this brass "hog scraper" candle holder?
Any idea on the age of this brass "hog scraper"...
bradleyd_svh
camelback sofa
Hello there - could anyone help me to identify the...
jerome_shorter
Help with print
Have some one seen this name on artwork or know of...
Dones
Antique/Retro Fridge Loud Vibration noise
My retro 1946 Frigidaire fridge started making very...
Tina Jansen
Sponsored Products
Kenroy Home Wall Mounted Burst Small 10 in. Round Black Wall Sconce 72823BL
Home Depot
GLO' Suspension With Canopy by Leucos Lighting
$2,013.16 | Lumens
M LAMP - Wireless/Portable Lamp - Juniper Design
$220.00 | HORNE
Freejack Firefrost Pendant
Lightology
Pagoda Outdoor Lantern
$129.50 | FRONTGATE
Somerset Bay Hand-tufted Bacelot Bay Blue Beach Inspired Wool Rug (3'3 x 5'3)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™