Adding a Powder Room

mkkristenNovember 7, 2007

Our basement is finished with the exception of one room that is storage and the laundry room right now. We are doing an addition above our garage and moving the laundry room up there. We will be leaving the hookups in the basement though for any future buyers who want the washer dryer in the basement. What I'd like to do though, is put a powder room in that unfinished area. Since there is already plumbing down there, how difficult(i.e. how expensive) is this going to be? Is this something that can be done fairly inexpensively? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

Unfortunately, you're probably not that much ahead. You'll need a 4" sanitary line to handle the toilet and most likely your washer does not have that large of discharge pipe. Plus, you'll need to vent your bathroom and your washer would not likely have been vented. So, the only thing you gain is having the fresh water in the general area.

I suggest you speak with whomever is relocating the laundry for you and get an on-site opinion.

Bookmark   November 7, 2007 at 4:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bungeeii

There are definitely ways to convert that room to a bathroom, but I think us online folks would have to know a little bit more about the particulars of your current plumbing. The suggestion to speak to the people responsible for plumbing the upstairs is a good place to start.

Bookmark   November 7, 2007 at 4:53PM
More Discussions
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™