Battery back up sump pump

drewemNovember 8, 2012

Hello all. I was wondering about the performance of battery back up sump pumps?

We lost power for 5 days due to Sandy. The basement flooded because the sump pump did not work.

If we get a battery back up sump pump, do we need to replace the 5 yr old working (when there is power) sump? Or some how hook the battery up to it?

Is there a suggested brand? Or is battery back up not the way to go? Maybe a different type of sump pump?

Thanks for your advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

A battery powered pump is actually a 2nd pump unit, installed in the pit with the float set to activate when the water level rises above the level for the standard pump. A 2nd discharge pipe is recommended.

Battery is continously charged via a charger connected to electricity. Battery pump time is affected by the condition (newness) of the battery, feet of lift and frequency of use. Good chance after 5 days a battery would be exhausted.

I installed a water powered back-up sump pump. Did so because I'll never have to worry about a battery.

Whatever you buy, get a good one, not the $89 special at a box store. All of my pumps are Zoeller but there are many good brands.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 5:34PM
drewem

Thank you very much fnmroberts. I will research a water powered one. The rain wasn't constant for those 5 days, so I think that even a full day or 2 would have been enough. How long do batteries last?

Would it be an issue if there was only one discharge pipe? Or can one be added after the fact?

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 11:51AM
fnmroberts

Because I don't have a battery powered pump I can't offer personal experience with battery life. I believe Marine batteries are recommended and I would expect a couple years might be a logical replacement cycle.

Some building codes require the discharge lines to be separated, not certain why. Yes, a second discharge pipe can be installed.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 7:11AM
More Discussions
Basement wall insulation
Hello, I live in a 1952 English bungalow in Chicago...
kmalladi
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
lookintomyeyes83
Sponsored Products
Arbor i wall clock -21"
Origin Crafts
Flower 5 Wall Clock by David Scherer
$98.95 | Bellacor
Gama Sonic GS-94D Black Post Victorian 2-light Solar Lamp with 9 Bright-white LE
Overstock.com
Fast Break Free Throw Shootout Electronic Basketball Game - 752.69
$246.99 | Hayneedle
LED Motion Act Solar Wall Post
Overstock.com
GARDENA Comfort Plus Shrub Shears - 8898
$129.99 | Hayneedle
'Don't Worry' Light-Up Marquee Sign
$19.99 | zulily
Monarch s/3 11" wall clock
Origin Crafts
People viewed this after searching for: