Some questions about crawlspace encapsulation

JamieOctober 15, 2013

We have half basement, half crawlspace. No actual water in the basement, ever, as far as I know. Built 1938. There's a powerful filter and dehumidifier in the basement.

There is a smell of mildew. You can actually smell it in the ground outside, and it is strong in the garage, which has no basement. I don't actually perceive the smell more strongly in the basement; it is worse in the main living area.

Would encapsulation greatly reduce the smell in the house?

The smell can be made undetectable in the living spaces when doors are open and I have odor elimination gel all over the place. But you can always catch a whiff in closets, rugs, and when the house is closed up the smell gets stronger.

Would encapsulation also reduce the number of spiders, earwigs, etc?

It seems like a crawlspace is supposed to allow the house to breathe, so is encapsulation bad for other reasons not related to odor?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jackfre

I'm not sure on the encapsulation as I've never done it, but I would do a very thorough inspection of the floor and walls in the closets and then the floor in the crawl space to see if you have mold/mildew in the structure. You might also look at a crawl space ventilator. Tjernlund makes one. Not sure if others do too.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™