Tile - Labor and Cost Question

mom2fiveNovember 7, 2005

Hi All,

Starting to shop for tile for the bathrooms for our new home, and I am feeling I need a Tiles for Dummies course about the variations in labor charge for laying tile in various patterns, on the diagonal, or doing subway tile. I have 5 bathrooms to plan - the master is the larger one - I have one small powder room, and the others are small to average size. How much more is it to lay tile differently (rough, rough guesstimate, percentage more etc anything would help). Also, is it a waste to lay tile diagonally in a small powder room? What can I do to spice up the look of the smaller bathrooms without breaking the bank on labor or materials? Also, I have a budget for tile from the builder of $4.00 Sq ft. I love the look of roman travertine - there seem to be so many choices, so many brands, price levels - dont know where to begin to even shop. Can anyone recommmend some good quality brands that are somewhat reasonable in price, or websites I can begin to look at?

Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cmarrocco

Plan on ading 20% to lay on diagonal, but I think it is worth it, it can carefully be mixed also.

Bookmark   November 8, 2005 at 10:12AM
More Discussions
Do I really need a steam shower?
We are in the process of finalizing plans for redoing...
attygirl
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
Help locating a Powder Bath sink, please!
We are in the final days of a year long remodel only...
soonermagicmama
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™