Sump pump didn't fix stench..what next?

patsdaddyOctober 1, 2009

I live in a ranch with a basement ready to be finished except we have a stench we can not get rid of. Our home is built(as is the whole neighborhood)on what used to be a clay pit. We are the only house in our neighborhood with a an issue of a sewer like smell that has now penetrated our main living floor in every room.

In the basement we can have an area cutout of the basement floor foundation that directly accesses the drain pipe used for the stormdrains to the street. This pipe is capped (some of our neighbors leave theirs uncapped but when we did this, the smell was even worse). We have installed a sump pump to remove some of the high water level that ideally should flow down that pippe but the ground water level is still present whether or not the cap is on the drainage pipe so we keep it capped. We have had numeous plumbers as well as the Town Public Works dept out to look at it but but no one will give us any help as to how to fix this problem or why after 5 years it is suddenly an issue. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dave777_2009

I take it your not on a septic?? But a public sewer?

Did you pay any of the numerous plumbers to run a camera down your sewer line? To make sure that it is not broken??

My dad is just selling his house. Plumbing works fine. An inspection of the plumbing - paid for by the buyers - found that his plumbing line is broke. Been sending waste into the ground for who knows how long.... Now, it's going to get repaired.

So, have you had your plumbing insides checked? If your on a septic - then you should be looking into your 'as built'.

Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 1:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dave777_2009

Another thought - if YOUR plumbing is truly ok...

My dad lives on a steep hill. He has some driveway ground errosion. We now think that possibly this was caused by his sewer problem... Where does all that waste - which is not correctly going down the drain - go???

So just a thought - possibly one of your neighbors has a plumbing problem - and does not know it. His waste might be accumulating beneath or near your house.... Causing your smell.

Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 1:26AM
More Discussions
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
water seeping through floor?
I have a finished walk out basement. After several...
abbey_cny
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™