'Garage' Basement

parkplazaOctober 4, 2007

I have my garage at below grade level due to a drive that goes around to the rear of my house. The entire rear wall is below grade and the one side wall slopes back so a good portion of that is below grade. The other side wall is block, but is a wall between the garage and basement. The humidity in the room is terrible, I have rusty tools, smelly car interiors, etc. I had a heating/AC square duct exposed that dripped in the summer. I insulated around that and stopped that issue. Is there anything else to be done? I have the higher end garage doors with insulation too. Short of leaving the doors opened all the time, is there anything I can do. I dehumidifier would be essentially dehumidifiying the entire earth because the garage door is not a perfect seal. I was thinking about screwing XPS to the walls and leave that exposed. I am OK with pink walls, but will this help? I have not water leaks, so I guess it is coming from the cool block below grade issue.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brewbeer

If the problem is mainly in the summer, I think it results from warm moist outside air coming into the cool garage, resulting in near 100% relative humidity in the garage.

Insulating the walls should help some, as the insulation will help retain heat in the garage whigh will result in a lower relative humidity (relative humidity is dependant on temperature). Sealing the gaps (to the extent practicle) to prevent moisture laden outdoor air from entering will also help. But a dehumidifier might be something that you will need to run when it is particularly hot and humid outside.

Bookmark   October 5, 2007 at 9:02AM
More Discussions
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™