Use for area under the steps?

countryboymoOctober 7, 2009

I am planning on finishing my basement and still am undecided what to do with or how to utilize the area under the steps. Please throw your ideas out and any pictures would be great!

Thanks,

Bob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

When I finished ours, the bedroom on one side of the stairs got a small, tall closet (24" deep) with rod in the taller part and some suitcase storage, etc. in the shorter part. Since the wall was framed against the side of the stairway, I used a regular 24" door, such that when it's opened, one can see the the angle of the stairway, with the closet being just below.

The family room on the other side got a 12" deep storage area for games, etc. That wall was also framing against the stairway, and I build a rectangular opening into it. The plan was to add doors, but everyone like it open, so that's how it has remained.

And under the very tallest part of the stairs is our AC air handler closet, which opens to a rear hallway.

Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 10:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andrelaplume2

my space is oddly shaped and I think I am leaving mine open. I'll put a desk or something underneath. I'll already have two large clostes and making this a 3rd would feel like too much. I may sheet rock the bottom or not. It depends on what you are using the basement for....for us its a play area so not real formal.

Bookmark   October 9, 2009 at 4:09PM
More Discussions
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™