Should i seal basement walls?

Liberty2October 9, 2013

I have a new home just built, basement 3800ft with 10ft ceilings and a walk out, i put tar mixed with rubber that was sprayed on my outside foundation, did a french drain too. However my area has clay and holds water. I run a dehumidifier and keep it at 50%. My basement is insulated on ceiling. I have a musty smell down there, should i seal the walls with a dry lock product, does anyone recommend anything else product wise? I also want to install an HVAC with it unfinished so kids can play and breath and cool in summer and heat in winter, i am in long island NY.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

So you're on the North Shore. Otherwise, you'd find mostly sand on the terminal moraines that are Long Island. Backfilling with sand or adding a bubble foundation wrap would have been your best bet against liquid water.

Before enduring the odoriferous mess of Drylok I'd add another dehumidifier. We run two in the basement of our 3,700 sf home to keep the humidity below 50%.

Drylok has a number of detractors. But I see that Paul Fisette, director of Building Materials and Wood Technology at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst is not one of them.

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
crack in block wall
Almost 2 year old house. Noticed verticle crack in...
newbie21
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™