Basement Bar

sewwhatsnewOctober 4, 2008

I haven't seen many posts regarding bars, we are moving and there is a pretty cool custom oak bar in the basement.

I need to repaint the walls, and am thinking about earth tone colors. Does anyone have pictures of bars in the basement to share. Decorating ideas?? I can post on the decorating forum. Color suggestions?? Wine theme?? Sports Bar?? Hubby likes nascar more than sports.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vermont_blue

I recently finished my basement and included a wetbar. I'd like to share a picture but don't know how?

Bookmark   October 11, 2008 at 7:20PM
dgmarie

Try the home decorating forum. Much more traffic and more photos.

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 3:50PM
love2weed

Here a few pics of ours. I let DH have free reign, so alas the tacky dog picture next to the pool table. After looking at the pics, I realize it's a bit dated now, but it rarely gets used now. Only on holidays and family gatherings. My husband wanted a tavern style basement.

Bookmark   November 8, 2008 at 9:59PM
sewwhatsnew

Love2weed,
Thank you for the pictures, I was so happy to see your basement was painted green. Do you like it?? Today I will finish taking down border in our basement, next I'll be priming white, and very soon deciding upon a color. I am considering old salem gray, an olive green which I used in living areas in the last home. It a bright walkout basement with 3 large windows, just need a color to compliment bar, pool table and living areas which are open to one another. Bar stools are a deep burgandy/eggplant color so I will need to find pics or rugs to compliment them.

Bookmark   November 18, 2008 at 8:41AM
love2weed

I still like the green for that space. Probably would not use it upstairs. DH loves it, he wanted a tavern color and this is a color you seen in taverns and pubs. But, if I were doing something more "elegant", I would go for another color. The Salem Gray sounds nice.

Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 7:59AM
pete_p_ny

Not to sound mean, but basement bars ring out "1970s basement." I have ripped out more basement bars when redoing basements than you can imagine. Most will say, they only used them several times in the past 30 years.

Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 10:11PM
love2weed

pete p my -- What is the purpose of your post then? The original poster only wanted advice on wall color. Not whether they should get rid of their bar, which is obvious they like. BTW, I attend our local Homerama Showcase and there is always some type of bar in the basement areas. Actually they are very elaborate bars. Yes I know my bar is dated, but it still serves it's purpose.

Bookmark   November 20, 2008 at 7:30AM
ILoveRed

we just built our house 3 yrs ago and dh wanted a bar, he always dreamed of a bar, and a pool table area--I figured he deserved it.

So, I have to disagree with pete as well.

He has his mancave decorated as a shrine to the St. Louuis Cardinals and the old stadium :-)

The bar is the hangout at all gatherings kind of like the kitchen island is for those of us hanging out upstairs at gatherings.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   November 22, 2008 at 12:48PM
sewwhatsnew

Walls are primed, I'm considering this rug, need a neutral paint that will compliment both if I purchase the rug.
Looking for suggestions to compliment light oak bar, fireplace, and built-in cabinets. Would BM Putnam Ivory, or BM Monroe Bisque work?? Or lighter, BM Sandy White??? Or BM Richmond Gold??? I think that might be too similar to the oak wood color.

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™