tile in basement

mbaldwinOctober 10, 2007

Hi, I posted this in the flooring forum to, I hope it is okay i ask here as well.

I am remodeling my basement and want to put ceramic tile down. the house is almost 60 years old. Do I need to use a decoupling mechanism between the tile

and the concrete floor? I will be tiling about 130 square feet.

the floor is not perfectly level, but any changes are gradual. I am thinking of using the 2x2 tiles that are on a mesh backing. think this would be okay

to follow the curve of the floor?

part of the floor I need to tile is around the floor drain. this is where my shower drains in to, yes it is okay where I live. What is the best way to

tile this part? I thought of maybe raising it a little. I could raise it about 2 inches, and it would still be the lowest point in the basement, what

would be the best way to do this?

Thanks for all the help.

Michael

P.S. I have never had a moisture issue in my basement.Â

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brewbeer

Do you have an existing shower on a concrete base, or are you planning to install a shower?

Bookmark   October 10, 2007 at 6:48PM
mbaldwin

Brewbeer, there is no shower base. The shower is walled off, and the water just hits the floor and runs down the floor drain. there is some kind of vynal cover on the floor. When I redue it I am going to use 4 inch wide bricks to make a curb to keep the water from the shower from going all over the rest of the floor. I want to put ceramic tile on the floor in the shower area, and the rest of the bath/laundry room. My wife also wants me to put ceramic tile on the wall.
the shower area is getting enlarged some. I want to make the floor drain area look nicer then it does.
Michael

Bookmark   October 10, 2007 at 7:57PM
Brewbeer

Typically, the way a tiled shower base is constructed, is to put down a sloping mortar bed called a "pre-slope", install a waterproof membrane (a thick PVC layer) over the preslope, that extends up the shower wall 3 inches higher than the curb, then another sloped mortar bed is placed over the waterproof membrane, which is what the tile is bonded to. A three-part drain with a ring that clamps to the water proof membrane is also used.

There are variations on this proceedure, as permitted by local code.

There are a lot more steps involved in properly constructing a shower, including the floor/wall transition, and how the wall should be properly constructed to make it moisture proof and mold resistant.

Here is a link that might be useful: custom tile shower construction link

Bookmark   October 10, 2007 at 9:11PM
mbaldwin

Thanks for the info. I ran in to another snag, and it looks like I will need to bust up my basement floor. I am thinking just to bust a little more up and put a proper shower drain in. Not sure what I will do with the floor drain then. Not sure if I will get rid of it or not.
Michael

Bookmark   October 11, 2007 at 5:00PM
More Discussions
ideas for basement?
Hoping some of you more creative people can help me...
Michael Oslosky
New Home Build - window size for drywall?
Apologies if this has been asked before - can't seem...
lookintomyeyes83
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™