Egress Window - Outside wall?

fae14October 8, 2013

We're building a window well with retaining wall block for a future egress window. Should we do anything to the exterior of the foundation wall before laying retaining wall block against it?

I'm debating if we should try to put a layer of concrete over the surface or black water proofing tar, just patch cracks as best as we can (with what I'm not sure, since I think our block has a higher amount of lime than typical portland cement patching mixes), or leave as is and call it good enough. Any thoughts?

Some background: The foundation wall is 100 year old concrete block. Not perfect condition by any means, but not bad considering the age. There's some minor small cracks and dinged spots but nothing memorably bad. Our soil is pure sand with some pebbles about 8-12 inches below the surface. We just had the yard extensively regraded over the summer to address drainage issues and a lot of dirt was removed, including the dirt for the window wells.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

If the wall is not leaking now, dampproofing or waterproofing a two-foot section won't make any difference.

Portland cement parging followed by asphalt cutback is a typical dampproofing. If the cracks are more than surface imperfections, you can patch them with polyurethane injections.

In addition or instead, you can use sections of bubble membrane such as Delta MS over the exposed areas.

The sand there now is the perfect drainage material. Moisture doesn't linger on that wall looking for the path of least resistance into your basement.

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 8:44

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 7:47PM
More Discussions
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
AZN8TIV
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™