Concrete dust problem in basement

rransiOctober 10, 2006

Hi Folks,

I am a first time homeowner. I bought a new home about a year ago with unfinished basement. I see a lot of concrete dust in the basement. I had put air hockey table for kids but the concrete dust makes it impossible for anyone to stay in the basement for long. The concrete dust is everywhere - on the hockey table, ping pong table, packed boxes etc.

I have washed the basement floor several times but the dust keeps coming back. What is the best way to get rid of the concrete dust? I hear about three things - sealant, paint, and something called concrete staining. Can anyone provide some suggestions from their own experience? I don't plant to finish the basement in near future -- just use it for re-creational purposes.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

Paint it. Contrete dust will be a problem for a long time to come. RustOleum makes a nice epoxy paint for basement floors. You can get it in about thirty colors (it's mixed at the paint counter like any other paint). Goes down easily and looks good.

Mike

Bookmark   October 12, 2006 at 8:25AM
randymeyer

You could either paint it or simply seal it. There are many concrete sealers available in either solvent base or water base. Waterbased would probably suit you best since you are in the house. You want a penetrating sealer.

Bookmark   October 12, 2006 at 3:49PM
rransi

Thanks a lot guys. I will look into epoxy paints & concrete sealers.

Bookmark   October 13, 2006 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
ideas for basement?
Hoping some of you more creative people can help me...
Michael Oslosky
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™