Level a basement floor

jimbo22sOctober 26, 2009

I need to level a small depression in the basement floor in order to install laminate. I would rather not work with self-leveling concrete for the little bit I need. Sand would level the small area except that it will absorb moisture, but what about a few cups of lanscape paver base under the poly sheeting? The leveling base is fine granules of rock commonly used under a stone or paver brick installation.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

A bit of sand will be the least of your problems if you're just planning to put vapour barrier on the floor, followed by laminate.

Building Science Corp. recommends at least 1 inch of XPS followed by two layers of 1/2" plywood and then the laminate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Science Corp.--Renovating Existing Basements

Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 12:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimbo22s

I guess I misunderstood this sentence from "Understanding Basements":

"A sheet polyethylene vapor barrier should be located over the rigid insulation and in direct contact with the concrete slab."

I saw "over", "direct contact" and "concrete slab" and understood that to mean that the barrier should go on top of the concrete, as many would recommend. I read it more closely and see that it recommends to avoid an interior vapor barrier.

What is the best way to install the laminate if I am not in a position to install 1" of XPS and two 1/2" layers of plywood? It sounds like there is no ideal way but I would like to know which method is least likely to cause an issue.

Thank you.

Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
1250sqft Basement heating question
This may be a crazy question as I have not found anything...
MCHammmer
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™